Sign in to follow this  

a good test for rmx

i picked it up last friday, it is a work bike to replace my trusty drz400e, i work on a sheep station (farm) and we use bikes to move the sheep, i ride every day. my drz was brought 1st week of 08 and has done 3000hrs! i have worn out the seat and 2 starter motors, replaced the cam chain, reshimed the valves and new clutch plates, a few disks and pads, the choke wont stay on unless you hold it out, so a lot of wear in that time, but no engine work.

so far i love riding the rmx, it is leagues ahead of drz in weight and handling, the seat feels hard but is comfortable, i have geared the bike down on the front spocket, added some fans to the radiators to help cool it at low speeds, i have put a switch on the head light and hour meter, and i might have to get a bigger tank. i will up date this from time to time and let you know how it goes. 150km/8.2hrs

You are my hero!

Anyone that not only buys a new bike and can use it just about every day, and actually get paid by their employer to ride it ... wow!, clearly you have life figured out way better than most of us!

Get that IMS 2.6 gallon tank, it's a gallon more than stock but you hardly notice it. And don't forget to do all of the power mod's, your RMX has a lot more power just waiting to be released!

http://www.yoshimura-rd.com/images/product/pdf/2192-800-K.pdf

So how does one move sheep with a motorcycle? Do they sit nice on the handlebars or do you make them sit behind you and hold on tight??

https://picasaweb.google.com/100913894860411160755/Xmas2011?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCJL86IrDoKWVoQE&feat=directlink

yes, i do enjoy my job, but not everyday is good for riding, winter is hard to get around. to move the sheep we ride around making noise and they all run and join up in a big mob then we quietly steer the mob where we want it to go and also use dogs to help, i will try and get some pics of it. occasionally you have to give one a ride on the handlebars to catch up on the mob!. my bike came from the dealer with the cherry bomb and powermods already done, but it is abit loud so i might have to put the restrictor back in the pipe.

Nice!

IMGP0638.JPG

IMGP0641.JPG

IMGP0635.JPG

IMGP0637.JPG

Just about anything will be louder than the DRZ that you replaced. If you have it, you could try reinstalling the quiet insert back into your muffler. You could also try getting an aftermarket muffler (like an FMF) and install the sparkarrestor and noise reducer. Another option is to get a ProMoto Billet (PMB) sparkarrestor with the quiet insert. The PMB might be the cheapest route but the FMF will give you more power.

yes, im going to reinsert the quiet thingy into the muffler (when the dealer sends it to me), thanks for inserting the pics, i couldnt work that out, only how to add the link. i did the first service today as have done 12hrs now, the owners manual shows to clean the oil screens, it doesnt tell you that all the starter motor gears,shafts and spacers come out to meet you when you take the magneto cover off! ive found a pic to try to reassemble it on alpha-sports website, sso will have a look at it tomorrow.

Edited by farmernz
cant embed pic

bike fixed! here is a link to the pics, starting with everything falling out to the order it goes back in, the bushes in the gear nearest the starter motor stayed in the casings on mine.hope this helps someone out,ps thanks for the advice to lye the bike down first.

https://picasaweb.google.com/100913894860411160755/20120101?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCNrop9-WuJTj0AE&feat=directlink

i posted this 5 days ago but it disappered so here it is again.

i got an ims tank from rage racing today. fitted it up tonight, was pretty straight foward, just gave it a rinse with petrol to make sure it was clean, also cut a couple of bits of loose plastic from the thread of fuel cap, i ran a bolt thru the new threads as some were tight- just to make sure i didnt cross thread anything, then swapped the fuel pump and oring onto the new tank and put some gas in it to make sure it had sealed. bolted the new mount to the bike frame and put the tank on, just a wee trim of the shroud by the top bolt was needed with a pair of scissors, a quick test run down the road and all is good.filling the radiator might be a little tricky as the tank sits directly above-nothing a small funnel wont fix. here are the pics.491km/27hrs

https://picasaweb.google.com/1009138...eat=directlink

Edited by farmernz

update on new tank. first tankful and i have just about run out of fuel-maybe half a cupful left, i have done 103 kms and the hour meter shows ive done 8.5 hrs of riding in that distance, i have removed the cherry bomb and put the exhaust restrictor and airbox lid back in, the lid has part of the snorkel cut away and a 10mm by 30mm hole cut in it- for a little more air (was done by dealer), the bike is really quiet now and easier to ride on the steep stuff and doesnt scare the sheep, but is more boring now that i know what i can go like!. i changed the oil at 30hrs- it was still pretty clear. now done 594km /35.5 hours.

Maybe I missed it but you guys don't wear helmets? At least that's what the pictures looked like.

Looks like a fun job, I would kill to do that for a week or so, it would be so fun!

helmets are provided,not condoning wearing them but in summer it is very hot so sunhats are prefered, in winter wool hats, if they made a helmet that did both these jobs and weighed the same as a hat,and you could pull a rain coat over it - it would be great.

You guys need any help? Comparing your job and mine (R&D in a factory) I'd like to trade up.

IMGP0683.JPG

zig06 the pay isnt flash, and you dont get many holidays!,job satisfaction is good tho, how do you embed the pics? i cant seem to get it.cheers

zig06 the pay isnt flash, and you dont get many holidays!,job satisfaction is good tho, how do you embed the pics? i cant seem to get it.cheers

The first thing you need to do is to find the URL of the image (ie picture) that you want to post (or embed). To do that you need to "right click" on the image and then select "properties" by "left clicking". From there another box will pop-up with the image information, look for the line that says "URL", it'll begin with "http", from there "left click" at the beginning of the url and "highlight" the entire address ~ be sure to highlight the entire address as it's common to have more beyond what's shown (as well as the final file extension ~ include the: .jpg). After you've highlighted the entire url address "release the left mouse button" and then single "right click" on top of what you've just highlighted and select "copy". From there "cancel" (or close) that box and get back to ThumperTalk and into the forum that you want to post the image in (I normally have both web pages open at the same time).

Finally open the forum reply box that you want to post in, "select" the little green "image" icon, that brings up another text box and that's where you "right click" and "paste" the "URL" that you just copied.

click "ok" and your done.

Here's a short video on the final step: http://screencast.com/t/ZLtKAal3

This is your thread so feel free to "edit" one of your postings by inserting an image. And for what it's worth this technique works with just about any forum throughout the internet. So give it a try and let me know what you think!

Edited by zig06

well the rmx went to the dealers for its first official service on friday, the mechanic panicked abit when he saw that it had done 76 hours- untill we said we had changed the oil a couple of times, good news is valves etc are still spot on, nothing other than routine maintanence was needed. i had to get back on the drz400 and it was heavy and uncomfortable- i missed the rmx! 1206km/76.6hrs