Lacing Wheels?

It's not hard. Full size KX rear wheels have an offset that you need to record first. The hub is about 12mm off to the chain side. You also have longer spokes on the drive side. The more you spend on parts the easier they are to true. Excel's are extremely easy, I can lace one and have it true in about 35 minutes. I just did a set of Warp 9's on my 05 and they were a bitch. Do the radial truing first, this makes the wheel round. Then fine tune the axial movement. when you disassemble a wheel, I use a center punch to mark the last spoke on the hub and the old rim. Match up the rim hole with the new rim using the valve stem and rimlock holes as guides. You'll see the rim holes are in sets of 4. Install the inner spokes first, but you may have to remove a spoke to install the outer spoke. You can also build it by installing all the spokes and securing them where they cross with tape, then install the rim. I tried that once but it took forever. It's good to do that if you're just replacing the rim. Grease the spoke threads. when you get all the spokes started, tighten them until 3-4 threads are visible, then just til no threads are showing. Then you can start the radial truing.

The front wheel on my 05 went real easy using Warp 9 rims and Pro Wheel SS spokes. But the rear I almost sent the crap back. There's still some threads showing even after the wheel was true. So I don't recommend Pro Wheel rear spokes.

Thanks, I am looking at some Excels for my 97 KX250 right now. Even though this bike is in pretty good shape I am thinking of the black excels and then powdercoating the swingarm black this winter. I think it would look pretty sweet that way, just have to decide if I should do the hubs black also

How hard is it to lace and true wheels? I am considering replacing the wheels on several bikes right now and well I dont like paying anyone to do anything if I can help it. My brother has a truing stand, but has never attempted to do it. I hear it is pretty tedious work, but Im fine with that.

Lacing & trueing wheels is really only difficult the first 1 or 2 times. I'm impatient, so I'm not very good at it. IMO it's somewhat of an art form to do it correctly. I searched out a guy, who does excellent work, and quickly too. He works out of his garage, on the side. He is particular about who he does work for...I bribed him with cash and a promise "Not to bother him, 'till he calls" So far, 6 wheels, and I haven't been disappointed. I recommend finding someone to do the same, unless you have the patience to do it well. Good luck.:bonk:

If your just replacing rims and going to reuse all the other components, then use small zip ties where the spokes cross to hold them in place. Use a cordless drill to run the nipples out and remove the hub and spokes as one unit. Put the whole assembly in the new rim and run the nipples on with roughly the same amount of threads showinga at the top of each nipple. This Will get you pretty close on the radial trueing. Once you have the wheel round you can move on to the axial trueing. Believe it or not ou can mount the wheel in the forks and true it without a stand. Spin the wheel and use a yellow grease pencil which you hold against the fork. The pencil will mark the high spots and you can adjust from there. Short version anyway. If your new to it and are going to replace spokes as well, easiest and quickest after taking some good pics for reference is to cut the old spokes with a small bolt cutter to save time especially if the nipples aree corroded . Just dive in. It's not that hard.