Sign in to follow this  

oil drain plug stripped?

first of all, i'm sorry if this is a repost, but i haven't found any previous threads that would help my situation yet.

so, i was changing my oil, and when i put the drain plug back in and started to tighten, it tightened a little bit and then it just kept spinning. when i took it out, i noticed pieces of what looked like threads from the inside of the case. what could this be from? now when i try to tighten it, it seems like the plug isnt nearly big enough and wont start threading. what are my options of fixing this? ive heard of heli coils and tapping but i'm unsure as to what those accomplish. thanks in advance!

first of all, i'm sorry if this is a repost, but i haven't found any previous threads that would help my situation yet.

so, i was changing my oil, and when i put the drain plug back in and started to tighten, it tightened a little bit and then it just kept spinning. when i took it out, i noticed pieces of what looked like threads from the inside of the case. what could this be from? now when i try to tighten it, it seems like the plug isnt nearly big enough and wont start threading. what are my options of fixing this? ive heard of heli coils and tapping but i'm unsure as to what those accomplish. thanks in advance!

uuugghh, ihate that, personally what i'd try? is to try n find an oversize plug with the same thread pitch n count on it and slowly thread that up. my wifes mercedes had the same prob, aluminum oil pan, threads stripped out, that what i did and it worked. i got mine at an auto parts house.

other than that, replace the case!

as far as helicoils, you'll get alot of different stories on those. some you'll like some you wont.

dont replace the case. try a helicoil first. what it is is basically what looks like a spring thats wound to a specific thread. you tap the hole and thread in the helicoil and then it will be as good as new. we have done this to a few bikes with that same probolem already and it works just fine. if you can find a bigger size plug you can always drill and tap it to a bigger size aswell

They're called self tapping oversize drain plugs, available at your auto parts store for like $5. Find the next size up. put lots of grease on the threads and screw in and out of your old hole a few times to clean up the threads. Clean all the filings and install.