Sign in to follow this  

Boyesen Rad Valve Fitment Issue

So after a year of riding my CR125 (equipped with a V-force 2 reed cage), I decided to try out the Boyesen rad valve. My decision was based on many favorable reviews on the performance and quality of the product and also Eric Gorr's advice in his book (for my year/model bike). The valve looks amazing, but unfortunately that's all it has going for it since it won't fit into my cases!! Very frustrating.

The screws holding the stopper plate are interfering with my cases by ~0.25-0.5mm which is not allowing it to fit correctly. I finally "adjusted" the screws slightly and was able to get the valve to at least fit into the case, but now 1 of the 4 bolts that secure the valve to the cases is off center and will surely strip if I try to continue to tighten it.

I had to leave a message with Boyesen since they were unavailable. I hope to resolve this issue quickly since this was the last thing I was waiting on to get the bike back together again.

I'm surprised they designed the fit that tight with the cases! My stock intake was significantly looser than this. I noticed that the right and left side cases don't mate perfectly and there is a slight offset between them (~0.25mm). When I completley rebuilt the motor last year I thought this was weird, but the bike has run great so I didn't think anything of it. I wonder if this is normal or if somebody switched out the right side case before.

I did a search and it seems some people have had similar issues, but I'm not sure if this is normal and what the solution is. Should I use multiple gaskets? It came with 2 but I thought 1 was a spare.

OK, so I was able to get in touch with Boyesen and spoke with a technician. He talked with manufacturing and said that they didn't know why the valve was having fitment issues since this part has been in use for many years (it's for 92-97 CR125's which were sold in great numbers I'm sure). So, they said they'd send out some countersunk screws and "rev plates" which should provide adequate clearance (kind of makes me think they've heard of this before...?). I was even able to get shipping charges waived! Since they are only in PA, I hope to get them by the weekend, but we'll see.

I hope this fixes the problem! I'll update when I receive the new parts.

hmmm this has my interest peaked, as ive been looking into getting a rad valve possible for my 05 cr250, but this kind of makes me want to keep away from it, keep us posted on if you get it mounted properly

I wouldn't let my fitment issue sway you. I had trouble finding other people having this problem, which tells me there are many many more people that have not had any issues. I've only heard good things about this product so I hope they are true, however I'm not expecting any big difference on my bike.

I've heard that most reed cages are similar and the aftermarket ones usually only improve throttle response. Seems to be some people that feel V-force and Boyesen can improve overall horsepower, though, so I'll see.

One other reason I made the switch to Boyesen was that my stock intake boot (which is needed with the V-force) was cracking and I like the idea of the aluminum construction on the Boyesen unit. Also, it has a replaceable boot!

Assuming everything goes well with the new hardware, I'd definitely keep them in mind for your bike. The way they handled the issue was great!

alright well thaqnks for the feed back anyhow, i'm still debating between vforce and boyesen, i might wait till the vforce 4 comes out, they have them availible but only for ktms so far, apparently there releasing more application early 2012

Just wanted to let you know that the new hardware worked and the cage now fits fine.