Sign in to follow this  

Crank Case Breather Dust Issue

I'm wondering if someone might be able to offer some advice? Here's the deal:

I was riding my TC450 last weekend. Stopped for a break, and noticed that my Crank Case Vent Hose had popped off the airbox. :bonk:

I know for a fact it was off for not more than 20 minutes, but the bike was probably sucking dust the entire time. Turned the bike off, and walked it back to the truck. Went home and tore it apart. There was a small amount of dust in the airbox (not visible, but could feel a little). Same for the intake boot. Carb was very clean. Now what do I do?

Obviously I'll drain and flush the oil a few times. Do I need to tear the head off and clean out the cylinder / valves? New piston and valves? Or has the dust already gone into the cylinder, out the exhaust, and done it's damage. I've only got about 40 hours on the bike, so would like to avoid piston / head job.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!!!

Oh, and first time posting. Thank you all for countless posts and a multitude of information. I would be a poor man if it weren't for this forum.

Or has the dust already gone into the cylinder, out the exhaust, and done it's damage. .

Yep, this. Check valve clearance immediatly. Write it down. Then check every 5 hours or so (it's so easy to check!). Your 1st indication that the dust, indeed, caused damage will be tightening of your valve clearance. Probably intakes but if any of them tighten up rapidly, you will need to pull the head. The silica can imbed in the valveseat, ruining the coating on the valve. The seats need to be cut to remove particles/refinish, then new valves, prob piston and camchain while you are in there.

There's also a chance that your motor will brush this off and not care.:bonk: Good luck!

Marc,

I pulled the intake apart to clean it, the carb, etc. I re-shimmed while I was in there as the valves were a little on the tight side. Will do as you suggest and check the valves every 5 hours going forward. Will also dump the oil, clean all screens and dump the oil again shortly.

Thanks for your responses! :bonk:

Colin

crank case breathers aren't really sucking, if anything it's a small suck and blow pulse so not really drawing much in.

also, not sure how your motor is, but most breathers terminate into some kind of labyrinth maze trap, not wide open to the engine internals. If the hose goes to your head cover it'd be easy to blow or rinse it out next time the cover is off

crank case breathers aren't really sucking, if anything it's a small suck and blow pulse so not really drawing much in.

also, not sure how your motor is, but most breathers terminate into some kind of labyrinth maze trap, not wide open to the engine internals. If the hose goes to your head cover it'd be easy to blow or rinse it out next time the cover is off

He means where it vents to the airboot. It's between the aircleaner and carb/tb and will most definately provide an unfiltered path for dirt.

Keep us updated, but I hope it turns out well since you seemed to do the right thing. I sucked a very small bit of dust in my 310 and it trashed the intake valves----$140 EACH for the intake valves plus $34 for the head gasket, etc. left me a one pissed off dude.