Sign in to follow this  

Engine Help Pls

I was having problems installing the cam chain, it had jammed under the lower sprocket. I finally got it straight but realized that the dowel pin in the intake cam cap was missing. I had previously placed it in the head. I've looked everywhere... nothing. The worst nightmare is it fell into the chain well. Do I tear the whole engine down to look for it? Turn it over by hand to see if anything jams? If it's don there will it hurt anything??

By the way, I was into the engine because it would not start. After reading the threads on stuck rings, I removed the piston and yep, that's what had happened. The bike had sat for a while (3 months) and it was running fine. I still can't fathom why the rings were fully contracted and glued into the groves.

Help from the guru's would be greatly appreciated.

I was having problems installing the cam chain, it had jammed under the lower sprocket. I finally got it straight but realized that the dowel pin in the intake cam cap was missing. I had previously placed it in the head. I've looked everywhere... nothing. The worst nightmare is it fell into the chain well. Do I tear the whole engine down to look for it? Turn it over by hand to see if anything jams? If it's don there will it hurt anything??

By the way, I was into the engine because it would not start. After reading the threads on stuck rings, I removed the piston and yep, that's what had happened. The bike had sat for a while (3 months) and it was running fine. I still can't fathom why the rings were fully contracted and glued into the groves.

Maybe one of these can help.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/MAGNETIC-PICK-UP-TOOL-LED-TORCH-ALL-ONE-PICKUP-TELESCOPIC-FLASHLIGHT-MAGNET-/250831117624?pt=AU_Hand_Tools&hash=item3a66b31d38

No expert but I'm guessing to long a intervals between oil changes causing your rings to be gummed up, not discounting the Ethanol fuels you use in the States, all compounded by sitting for 3 months.

I could be wrong on all counts and your motor is due for a rebuild and the rings are gummed because of too much blow by.

the dowl pin is wherever- sorry acn't help there.

the rings, the suggestions i've been told are: bad gas, over heating, lean condition. i'd bet on crap gas gumming in the grooves' land, holding tight, and killing compression.

Uggg, not again, and don’t feel bad your far from the first.

Your spot on, don’t start the motor till you find the dowel pin or know it’s not in the cases… you may very well slit the case and still not find it. Small round pieces cant bounce, roll, travel great distances and hide in a garage area, get mixed with other items and carried away from the area.. Hell my dogs have picked up and played with parts at times, eaten them had then stuck to paws.

Try a magnet on a extending pole, bright flash light, try removing the side case covers and fishing around that way, try turning the motor upside down, or split the cases to find that dowel pin.