Sign in to follow this  

Dakar Thread

Let's get a Dakar thread going here.

Just saw that Kendall is on his way to Buenos Aires taking some stuff to Quinn.

James Embro should be there by now as well. Go local Georgia boys!!!
Got a SPOT message from him earlier today, showing him in Buenos Aires.

RDC will have some of the best remote coverage including some good detail of how to watch on TV and web.

VS is now called NBC sports network and is said to be airing coverage (via ASO) each day. Check your local listings and I think it airs first on Jan 2 in the afternoon. Searching Argentine tv stations, we can get some

Live feeds of the podium start on NYD

Along with all your favorite riders, there are a couple who have snuck under the radar this year. Both Chris Birch and Johnny Aubert will be riding KTM 450RR's. Aubert is on a semi factory ride. Chris Birch has been in S. Africa training with Alfie Cox. Either of these guys could be dark horses. Aubert has said that he hopes 2012 will be his last year in the EWC and he hopes to be a full time rally racer after that.

If you want to follow bikes in ASO's Dakar, you need to follow via Advrider.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25

Race Drama Central aka: RDC is mostly a bunch of Rubby Gorrdon Fans running off at the mouth and while entertaining, it distracts from the real event. THat is if you find FlyHiFlyLow's (FLY) bi-polar Rubby leg humping entertaining.

Advrider has multiple "insider lines" to riders from all over the world, including Street's Rally PanAm "Riff Raff". You find no bashing of teams, countries, brands of bikes, or playground smack. You will find great info from guys some of whom who actually race rally raids.

My 0.02.

Kendall should be next in line to race Dakar, I think we all know he would be a contender for sure (with some experience and training). Wouldn't it be nice to see a full blown JCR Dakar multiple bike team???

If you want to follow bikes in ASO's Dakar, you need to follow via Advrider.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25

Yep, there's about 100x more inside scoop on ADV than any other website. The problem is it's TOO MUCH information. The race hasn't even started and there is a new post every couple of minutes. During the race there's a new post about every 60 seconds or faster. It's like watching live helmet-cam video from 5 bikes at one time. Oh, and if you follow the race there, expect to be completely hooked, with no time to get work done during the day.

Kendall should be next in line to race Dakar, I think we all know he would be a contender for sure (with some experience and training). Wouldn't it be nice to see a full blown JCR Dakar multiple bike team???

Seeing as how KTM is going to take the 1x plate next year, he's going to need to remain focused :bonk: Maybe 2014!

Shameless Plug: I have a ton of stuff already posted on riders and pre race coverage. My daily coverage will be pretty strong, with bike updates throughout the morning and press releases in the evening. So check it out:

http://www.enduro360.com/category/dakar-rally/

Here is another worth looking at today, navigation training with Johnny

http://www.dirtrider.com/features/interviews/141_1112_rally_training_with_johnny_campbell/index.html

All right, so i ain't a "journalist" wanting to be the first to post whatever, rather, I'm here experiencing it. That being said there is SO much happening (not entirely good) its incredible, and not my place to say. As we get into the race the ADVrider fanatics will be posting info about bikes before 99.9 of us here at the event even know, the adv guys are on it super fast.

So far i'm most impressed with how many ASO staff there are, the incredibly good organization, and how friendly everyone is (yeah, even the French). Baja race cars are more impressive to me tthan Dakar cars. Some bikes here are incredible. The support vehicles are insane, mostly in respects to how much they carry and how they carry it. The incredibly huge number of local fans are super into this. The amount of cops and security is crazy (it's totally safe here) and they are extremely accomidating.

Overall it makes Baja racing look amature.

I'm trying to put up some entertainment on the Baja Bound Adventures Facebook (but posting isn't my job here)

Looks like everyone is in impound now and ready for the racing to start:

376980_2364214387001_1299612597_31847183_532328925_n.jpg

384738_335180769845099_100000595362501_1244040_862326898_n.jpg

I'm just hanging out outside park ferme waiting to do my ceremonial lap around Mar del Plata, it's crazy here with the race and the new year celebration there are people everywhere and the beaches are packed. Things are going well once we put all the drama of loosing the bike behind us. This morning we had the group photo and riders meeting, It was good to see Kendall and Jim Castillo they had snuck in with all the journalists and were hanging out taking photos so I got to visit with them for a few minutes before the meeting. I'm ready for tomorrow going to be a long day 860k or something like that

Tim's riders (Americans Ned Suisse & Bill Conger) making their roadbooks. Take note, Dakar riders are powered by Oreos.

rollcharts.jpg

Felipe Prohen & Prohen Bros - Dakar Racers and 2011 Baja 1000 finishers.

prohenFelipe.jpg

prohenbros.jpg

Highlight from text update from Tim chasing for Rally Pan Am:

"...warm-up special, MEGA highway miles... sweeping for Jonah... hot 95degrees...Never seen so many crazy race fans.... tree caught on fire in front of our house from fireworks last night...."

Sounds like no drama so far.