Sign in to follow this  

Longer swingarm, dune power sliding,whoops,handling affects?

I want to mount a longer swingarm on my CRF 450,the 2009 and newer have a longer swingarm over my 2004 n 2005 CRF 450s so I bought one on EBAY. What are the advantages of a longer swingarm and will it power slide better under power without spining out or highsiding and will it go over rough whooped out terrain better? Thhanks for all replies!

Edited by Realslow

You'll need a stiffer spring...the damping curve is out the window..may work, may not.

Its going to be heavy in the front with a longer arm.

Id be more curious to see if the 09 arm fits the earlier chassis and engine and link etc...

Thanks for replying Shawn, actually these CRFs have CR 500 motors in them.These chasses handle way better than my old 1988 CR 500 chassis but in one major crucial area for me the 88 is better.

Te old 1988 500 was a great dune desert bike and it was a pig but you could lean it over slightly with you feet on the pegs in 2nd gear and just start banging gears off all the way to 5th and just power rip going sideways in a circle totally under control great bike in that regard. The CRFs do not do it near as well and will try and highside. The 05 CRF is way twitchy compared to the 04 CRF chassis so will the longer swingarm make the 05 slower reacting?

I want the bikes to power slide and go over rough whopped out terrain better should a longer swingarm do that as well as slow a nervouse chassis down?

Shawn you had a 1988 CR 500 those things were bitchin in the day, I liked them better than the 1989 thru 2001 CR 500s. The chassis was more predictable and the old prolink put the power to the ground better.The new bikes are way better but for a dune blaster or desert bike the old 1987 n 1988 were hard to beat. They were like KX 500's but didn''t break like one :bonk:

I have a 2010 CRF 450 swingarm and a 2010 CRF linkage to work with any help before I play around would be great.

Frank Thomas Jason Thomas's father lives down the road from me and he is in the know on the bikes.He told me in his opinion and from what the top pros have said behind closed doors they do not like the 2009 thru 2012 CRF 450 frame geometry at all.

Ive still got an 86 and the 88 Cr500.

The main problem with the 88 for me was the size of the tank. AT 2.1 gallons it was a 40min ride max in the dunes. I got a Clarke 3.2 but the shape of it sucks. There are two bulges on the rear of the tank right at the seat that beat the shit out of your inner thighs. You dont even notice them until later in the day. After a day on that thing, the insides of your legs are black and blue.

To slow the twitchiness down, push the forks flush with the clamps. And increase the sag to 110mm. It'll calm right down. You dont need a longer arm. And add a couple clicks to the rebound in the rear shock. That will help with the high-side tendency too.

I like to play around with stuff,it will definitely make the bike less wheelie prone. I want it to power slide better under power and track whoops better can a longer swingarm do that? I want more stability will that help?

Have you seen the new liger CR 500 motor by CPI? should make over 100 on gas,testig just started and it makes over 106 already on meth.

Thanks, i have a oversized 1987 tank in good shape. those bikes setup right really work good for open blasting.

I like to play around with stuff,it will definitely make the bike less wheelie prone. I want it to power slide better under power and track whoops better can a longer swingarm do that? I want more stability will that help?

Have you seen the new liger CR 500 motor by CPI? should make over 100 on gas,testig just started and it makes over 106 already on meth.

Thanks, i have a oversized 1987 tank in good shape. those bikes setup right really work good for open blasting.

the longer arm will help, but the clicker suggestions and the fork in the triple clamp will help a ton too.

Id have you make the adjustments on the clickers before you put that big ass swing arm on there.

That is the equivalent of moving the engine (and everything else!) forward the entire length of the extension. 20mm is a lot!

The twitchiness is coming from the aggressive head angle and trail of the later chassis with the two stroke in it. Relax that Sag and push the fork down a little and it'll be a completely different bike.

Actually I bought the swingarm for my Liger project I want to build for my tagged SM. Have you seen the LIGER!