Sign in to follow this  

Washington Harbor Freight Press...?

I am thinking of buying a press; using a bottle jack and my truck is getting old :bonk:

Harbor Freight has a 12 ton for $129.99; I know their tools are not the best but anyone have any experience with these?

Thanks,

Rob

I have one, it seems to work just fine for my needs. I have had it for 3 or 4 years with no issues.

Later,

It is some steel bars and a car jack, should be fine. Most HF stuff is good for low cycle use.

Yup, I've had the HF 12-ton in the shop for 3 or 4 years now. It paid for itself in no time. My only complaint is the arbor blocks that come with it have no flat sides at all. All 4 sides have cutaways on them, so sometimes it can be tricky to get a solid lock on the narrow lips of certain parts. (like wheel bearings in hubs)

Find a couple of square pieces of 1/2" or 3/4" thick plate steel with nice sharp edges; it'll make things easier. As long as you have the usual assortment of larger sockets and extensions, you're set. (17, 19, 22, 24, 27, 30, & 32mm is what I use)

Get these tools along with the press and there's nothing you can't do with it:

http://www.harborfreight.com/blind-hole-bearing-puller-95987.html

I don't use the slide hammer with the press, just the collets, to lock onto the bearing's inner edge, and press it out with a smaller socket from the other side. I hope that made sense... Hubs & swingarms mostly, where they have a rigde in the center, & you can't get a big enough socket in there to press out the bearing. Trust me, you'll find out what I'm talking about sooner or later....

image_14671.jpg

http://www.harborfreight.com/13-piece-12-drive-metric-impact-socket-set-67902.html

image_14210.jpg

http://www.harborfreight.com/4-piece-12-drive-impact-extension-set-67972.html

image_14242.jpg

Any of their stuff that uses a hydraulic cylinder they might ask if you want to buy a warranty, there's a reason for that.

I've had mine for a few years also. Never had an issue with it. It is just about as simple as you can get. An adjustable "bench" to set your work on and a simple bottle jack.

There really isn't anything to break or get damaged.

If you can find a coupon for free shipping or a decent discount you'll be much happier with it.

Any of their stuff that uses a hydraulic cylinder they might ask if you want to buy a warranty, there's a reason for that.

Even then, dont. Use the money to buy a good repalcement hydraulic cylinder (bottle type jack in this case) when the chinese one fails. Agree, the press should be fine.

The press came in today and I put it together. There is about 3/16" gap on either side of the bar that the bottle jack sits on and slides up and down. Is that normal?

Yeah, that's fine, mine's the same way. Mine's not really all that tight at the top either. The bolts are all tight, but there's still gaps between the steel and a bit of play in there. No problem really, it straightens itself right out as soon as you put it under tension. Just always make sure your parts are squared up and apply the pressure slowly as you line things up.