Sign in to follow this  

here we go again, newbie with a "ticking sound at idle" question

I did a site search and came up with everything from "it's a normal sound" to "you better pull it apart and check it" so, sorry but i'd like to ask you guys myself.

I have never heard another 250R run......only mine, so i have no way to compare, and no local "experts" to ask.

I have a 9 second 900 horsepower BBC drag car that makes plenty of strange (normal) noises. I have no problems with mechanical stuff, but NO knowledge of this 250R engine.

if the noise is normal, fine. if it's something i need to monitor looking to see if it gets worse, OK

it's an '04 that appears to be a fairly low hours bike. i just purchased it a few weeks ago. it runs like a scalded dog, and seems to operate correctly, no complaints. I dont race it, just ride the trails with my son, and crack it a little on the straightways.

it has a ticking noise at idle that doesnt SEEM to get worse when revved up. the camera makes it sound way louder than in person.

I just checked the valves.

right intake: .0045

left int. .005

left exh.: .0105

right exh: .011

the decompressor seems to work as it should as well.

new UNI air filter, Honda 10w40 oil and filter, Honda 80W in the trans.

here's a vid with my boy trying to silence the muffler the best we can to diagnose.

thanks for any help you can give

PS: here's one i found online of my car:

again, thanx. I appreciate the info here and have been reading the site like crazy

I am not 100% sure but on my old bike my 2008, it had a noise the exact same took it to the honda dealer (dads friend owns it) and they stripped the motor down and said it was crank case bearings and a few other things dont know what else

I should have also added a video section of the noise when the muffler is not covered. the sound is not nearly as noticeable.

I went on you-tube and listened to as many crf's as i could find. most of them sound the same as mine.

thanx. I'll wait for more replies before i decide what to do.

I have a 2011 crf250r that sounds just like that... my 2007 crf450x also sounded like that...Its a Honda thing.

Some of the noise is coming from the air box. Has like a hi-pitched popping noise which they all have.

thanx guys, i appreciate you taking the time to post,

I have ridden it 2.5 hours since the video and it is the same. so i figure it's normal.

it will need re-built one of these days. right now, it runs perfectly.

i dont think thats a main crank bearings... crank bearing is more of a loud knocking noise, not a ticking like that.. honestly that sounds like a compression release, i would say the valves but they seem good if they are in spec. i really wouldnt worry about it..

thanx, 424

I also forgot to mention that i run it on 104 octane Sunoco race gas.

there are no flakes or discolorations in the oil, and.....this is one Gawd awful fast bike. i like it.

my buddy has a trx450r and made the exact same noise and it was the timing chain tensenor check it out and let me know.

well the timing chain could be it but im not too sure. take the head cover off and if the timing chain is loose and you can wiggle it around then that could be it.. if thats the case check the chain tensioner, if thats good then you need to replace the chain. but idk if that would be the cause

thanx, 424

I also forgot to mention that i run it on 104 octane Sunoco race gas.

there are no flakes or discolorations in the oil, and.....this is one Gawd awful fast bike. i like it.

There's no need to run that high of an octane fuel. If you're compression is 14.5:1>, than you probably need something like 100+. If you're running 13.5:1 compression, 91 octane works fine, but 93 would be the ticket.

There's no need to run that high of an octane fuel. If you're compression is 14.5:1>, than you probably need something like 100+. If you're running 13.5:1 compression, 91 octane works fine, but 93 would be the ticket.

thanx, I have figured that out from reading the forum.

my racecar uses 110 and i was forced to purchase some 104 and mix into the remaining 110 to make the final rounds at my last race.

It'll just go bad over the winter, so, for the bike i mixed some 104 with some 93 I had, then ran outta 93, so straight 104.........blah blah blah, on and on.

I'll get a fresh can of 93 this weekend and mix in smaller amounts of 104 until I am rid of it.

I'll let you know if performance falls off when it goes back to burning straight 93. thanx again for your replies.

Edited by walkerheaders

The noice is the carb slide rattling. Every carbed crf Honda does it

Cool, Thanx.

my major concern is the fact that i have no idea how this bike was treated prior to my purchase.

I had no idea how it sounded when new.

after i re-build it, and know it's fresh, i'll have a better handle on it's condition, sounds and what it needs for maintainance etc.....

it runs great, but i'm gonna assume it's getting tired and i need to keep a close eye on it.

as always, thanx for the replies, guys.