Sign in to follow this  

Honda XR 650r or KTM 505 sxf

So I need some pros and cons from you guys here on this site, theres alot of knowledge here. I like to ride desert, trail, dunes, and some track. Now I'm no profesional but I ride hard. I like baja riding but I like to do track days too, but let me be honest I'm not going off any 100 foot jumps anymore, getting older and family you know. So the question is which would suit me better for those styles of riding.

KTM! It would be significantly lighter, better suspension, electric start, and a better bike for everything except high speed desert (Baja) riding. Also, the Honda would take a lot of work (and money) to get it even close to the KTM.

CoKTM

Isn't the 505sxf a 4 speed? If it is, IMO, it's useless for everything BUT a motocross track. I had a 08 450sxf. You either gear it low to make 1st useable but then you lose all your top speed or you gear it high but then 1st is like 3rd on most bikes. Coktm is right about the 505 being a "better" bike. It's lighter, faster, better suspended, etc. etc. The only other thing is the electric starter, you can't put a backup kickstarter on the bike so if you plan on running around in the desert and you end up buying a rekluse, you aren't going to be bump starting it. I did have a few problems with mine back in 08 but I wasnt running a rekluse so I just bump started it.

Isn't the 505sxf a 4 speed? If it is, IMO, it's useless for everything BUT a motocross track. I had a 08 450sxf. You either gear it low to make 1st useable but then you lose all your top speed or you gear it high but then 1st is like 3rd on most bikes. Coktm is right about the 505 being a "better" bike. It's lighter, faster, better suspended, etc. etc. The only other thing is the electric starter, you can't put a backup kickstarter on the bike so if you plan on running around in the desert and you end up buying a rekluse, you aren't going to be bump starting it. I did have a few problems with mine back in 08 but I wasnt running a rekluse so I just bump started it.

Pumpkin is right about the 4-speed (my bad). A 530 would be the right KTM for you.

CoKTM

If you were only choosing between the two, the KTM is what to get. I had an '07 505 SXF that treated me very well and I rode it everywhere including two trips to Baja, desert races, mtn trails, and mx. I ran 14/49 gearing which made 1st gear pretty tall so in the technical stuff I had to clutch a lot, but this was the only way that top speed was workable in fast desert conditions. I preferred the spacing of the 4 speed tranny over the 5 speed xcf, just wish it had another gear or two. I'm not very good at mx riding but I didn't have any complaints about the bike on the track.

That said the newer 450 sxf (2010+) would probably better suit you since it has the 5 speed and is thus more versatile.