Sign in to follow this  

hydraulic clutch question 2001 250 exc

compared to my kdx my 250exc is hard to start when in gear and seems to stall way easier

this all seems clutch related. i back bled it but it is still hard to shift if the bike is not running and is much harder to kick than the kdx while in gear

it feels like it is not moving the plates as much as a cable clutch and is dragging a little

any tips/ideas

this is my first hydraulic clutch

Edited by grumpyman
more info

Sounds like you need to inspect your clutch basket for notches, and inspect the plates for any warping.A fly wheel weight is more of a personal taste.

It does appear that there is more drag on the KTM's than my other bikes. You could try ATF in lieu of thicker oils in the tranny. Also changing the MC can help (or hinder depending on which one you have currently). I find that after my bike warms up it does not have an issue starting in gear. The basket, inner hub, and plates need to be checked out as previuosly mentioned.

I found if my bike sets very long without riding the clutch will drag until it gets hot. I started putting a zip tie on the clutch leaver which hep a lot...for some reason???