Sign in to follow this  

KDX linkage greasing problem

Hi,

I'm taking good care of my KDX by greasing the swing arm and linkage bearings. I ran into a problem on the linkage. The sleeve on the two of the bearings came out easy, and I was able to grease them. However, the sleeve of the one remaining bearing on the linkage won't come out; so I can't get into it to grease. I tried pounding it with a hammer, but not very hard for fear of damaging the bearing. It's the one that connects to the lower part of the shock. It almost look like it's not serviceable.

140.jpg

Yeah it's a bearing alright. Sleeve may be rusted in there, but it should come out without much trouble even so. Use a socket or a piece of pipe that is the diameter of the sleeve to drive it out with. Or better yet, if you have access to a press, use that to push it out.

If the inner "sleeve" is that seized, the bearing is shot anyway. To add to that, since it won't budge, most likely your bolt was pivoting inside that inner sleeve. So you need the whole shabang. Bolt, and lower shock bearing kit.

Support the surface outside of the bearing with a large socket, then use a brass drift and BFH to tap the bearing out. If the outer race stays in place, the easiest thing to do is use a dremel and cut a slit down the side. They pretty much fall out after you cut them.

This sleeve will rotate on the bearing just fine and smooth. But it won't slide out. I'm beginning to suspect there might be a clip or something holding it. Looks like there's a seal. I will try to lift the seal and see if there's something holding the sleeve.