Sign in to follow this  

How do I remove the power jet 97 CR 250 Pic

Been searching and reading threads, and looking closely at this thing. Can't figure out how to remove it.

Stock is 42, this one says 38 on it. (Jet on the right) Thinking it was rejetted when the fatty pipe was installed by previous owner. The reeds were cracked so maybe that caused it to run rich, and the ensuing lean jetting to correct it.

photobucket-2130-1325120577740.jpg

If I remember correctly it removes just like the others! I will double check for you though man since we both have the same carbs! You're right on track throwing a 42 in it. I've never seen anyone else with a 98' do anything but a 42. All of the changes are typically between the main and the pilot, and I've noticed it even in the service manuals jetting chart for all type of conditions temp and altitude, it don't change..

I don't know if you have a service manual yet, but if you don't, give me your temp and altitude and I can tell you exactly where to be at!

Griffin

Yea, no service manual yet. I really need that. Can you zip that file and email it?

I'm at 800' above sea level. Probably ride in 40-60 degree weather for the next couple months. This power jet has no apparent means of removal.

Thanks Griffin.

Been searching and reading threads, and looking closely at this thing. Can't figure out how to remove it.

Stock is 42, this one says 38 on it. (Jet on the right) Thinking it was rejetted when the fatty pipe was installed by previous owner. The reeds were cracked so maybe that caused it to run rich, and the ensuing lean jetting to correct it.

photobucket-2130-1325120577740.jpg

I don't know about anyone else but I'm a little confused as you say (Jet on the right)? I see a brass tube on the far left that looks like it's been wrenched on by something that left a shiny mark in the brass. Is this what your calling the powerjet? If so that's not the power jet but rather the starting jet which is pressed in and not removable. To the right of that is the pilot jet with the screw driver slot. Right of the pilot is the hex shaped main jet. Right of the main is the brass seat for the float needle. I don't know for sure since I haven't had your particular carb but I think the power jet resides in the extra hole in the mating surface of the carb body and float bowl.

Is there 5 holes in this surface? 4 for the screws that retain the bowl to the body, the fifth which is just barley descernable (behind/below the main jet) in your picture might be for the power jet. Look down in that hole and see if there isn't a small brass jet that has a screwdriver slot in it. If so that's your power jet.

Yea the power jet is tiny...

MXHalofan, here are your current jetting specs:

0-1,000 ft above sea level and 40-60 degrees Fahrenheit

178 main

55 pilot

42 power

needle clip 3rd pos (middle)

1 & 3/4 turns out on the air screw

and actually in the service manual it doesn't even mention the power jet in any of the specs for temp...It's just a stock 42, never changes I don't believe and the power jet is TINY...

Now if it happens to dip 20-40 deg.

182main

58 pilot

needle clip 4th position

1 & 1/2 turns on the air screw

and NOW, this is the STANDARD jetting from Honda and for 60-80deg

175 main

55 pilot

2 turns out in a/s

3rd clip position

Something to keep in mind is EVERYTHING affects your jetting. Your airscrew position will be different every day. Your reeds, exhaust, everything effects jetting. You basically just want to make sure you are not too lean. That will tear up your motor real quick. The ideal spot is just outside of being too rich.

Let me know if you need anything else bud. I've tried to email my manual before. File wayy too large.

I tried to twist that starting jet...good eye.

The power jet is to the right of the main in the pic. Gold colored like the pilot jet. It's the hole the float needle goes into. There's a Keihen mark and a 38 on the jet collar.

I've got the 42 ordered. Hoping I can figure out how to remove it by seeing the new jet, or I'll take it to a motorcycle shop. Last shop I called didn't know what power jet was. Gonna be happy once I'm passed this damn jet.

I tried to twist that starting jet...good eye.

The power jet is to the right of the main in the pic. Gold colored like the pilot jet. It's the hole the float needle goes into. There's a Keihen mark and a 38 on the jet collar.

I've got the 42 ordered. Hoping I can figure out how to remove it by seeing the new jet, or I'll take it to a motorcycle shop. Last shop I called didn't know what power jet was. Gonna be happy once I'm passed this damn jet.

Well you may have ordered a 42 power jet but it wont look anything like the part you think it is. As I said before that is the brass seat for the float needle and like your starter jet, it is pressed in and not replaceable. I wouldn't mess with it until you get the 42 power jet you ordered, then maybe you'll see what I'm talking about. Did you look for the power jet where I mentioned? Here's a pic of the power jet being installed/removed in a slightly different keihin carb than yours. Notice it is located directly below the electronic solenoid.

001-6.jpg

Thanks BlackCR and Hallsy. That explains it. I dun goofed again. At least it only cost me $8. I'll take that with a smile. I'm used to paying for mistakes.

Got a 42 power jet already in there. Anyone need a 42 power jet? LOL

Twisted right out too. Who'd of thought it'd be on the mounting flange for the bowl?

Glad this one is over. My All Ball rear wheel bearings came yesterday, hoping the reeds come today or tomo, so I can ride Sunday. Thanks again

Reeds came today! I get there and find out my jet is back ordered, so they return the money! Didn't even loose money on this one! Riding tomo

After coming back to this thread while doing some research I had to LOL....At the time I replied I really hadn't learned my carb well yet. This past weekend I broke the entire bike down, and taught myself basically everything in that carb. You did find the power jet right? It's tiny itty bitty on the edge of the float plate rim....LOL

I'm trying to look into bypassing the power jet solenoid. Stupid ass electronics. Just a matter of time before that stuff quits. The real fix is a PWK airstriker carb :bonk:

Edited by BlackCR25098

LOL yea that Main jet looks terrible! They're supposed to be BRASS colored lol OR at least spray with carb clean and blow them out with compressed air and make sure the passage is clear and clean.

Edited by BlackCR25098