Sign in to follow this  

Calling all electrical experts....

I was looking at my heated grip setup and I would really like a risistor knob type controller instead of my current toggle switch. It seems like you could find one at radioshack or an auto part store but I thought I would see if anyone here knew what specs I need to look for or if any resistor type knob will work? Any tips would be great!

I variable resister will work but it is really a waste. I have not done any calculations but you need to dissipate quite a bit of heat. Any power that is lost as heat is wasted power. A better solution is a heat controller that turns the power on and off. Heat controllers are a digital devise and used to regulate the heat of electric clothing. That's my recommendation.

I have the low/off/high toggle right now, but the resistor that was inline was a hassle so I eliminated it to just run high or off. Any advice on finding one of those digital heat controllers? Is it going to be a $50 part?

:thumbsup:Thanks Noble, I've seen the Gerbing stuff, I was just wondering if there is a generic or universal knob controller like that for multiple use that might work in this application as well. I get it, if I want the knob I'm going to have to pay for it! Thanks guys!:bonk:

FYI some yamaha sleds use a variable resistor instead of low off high toggle to control the heated grips, works good and allows you to dial in the right amount

this looks like one but cant be sure pic isnt great

http://www.ebay.com/itm/97-Yamaha-600-XTC-Snowmobile-Heated-Hand-Grip-Dial-/280797386448?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4160d416d0

I think what we have is a problem with terminology. Yes that looks like a heat controller but I doubt it is a variable resister (rheostat). It is more likely a digital heat controller. The difference is a rheostat dissipates power in the devise (resisters get hot) and a digital heat controller turns the power on and off. So as you adjust the dial on the controller, the percentage of time the grips are on or off varies. The on/off cycle is rapid so you do not notice the on/off cycle.

I have the low/off/high toggle right now, but the resistor that was inline was a hassle so I eliminated it to just run high or off.

the resistor is the high power setting, the one without it is low.

the resistor is the high power setting, the one without it is low.

Today 10:16 AM

You are backwards on this. The resistor is the low heat. It is in series with the heaters.

Hi Timbo.