Sign in to follow this  

'03 XR80R stumble/bog question

Hello. Have seen here somewhere that the XR / CRF80's are pretty bad about bogging. I assume that's what's happening to mine. Just bought a near-perfect, near-new '03 XR80R, and after tearing down and ChemDip-ing the carb, then adjusting it per the book, it runs really well - except if you hit full throttle all at once, when it promptly falls on its face. If you ease it in, it'll run great. Is this normal? Can it be remedied (economically)? I also bought two '04 CRF100F's, went through the carb on one, and it pulls like a champ at the crack of the throttle from idle. Was wondering if the carb from the CRF100F would work on the XR80R w/out rejetting, etc., to help out? Any other suggestions? Everything's stock on all three bikes - no air box mods or anything. What little things can be done to help them out (80 and 100's)? Thanx in advance.

That's kind of standard fare for the 80's and 100's. The carb doesn't have an accelerator pump so you do get a bit of a bog when you open the throttle quickly. I don't think there is an easy fix other than to just adapt to the condition.