Sign in to follow this  

tt-125le road worthy???

anyone ever make one of these road legal? I have an 08 sitting around that is nearly new and I rarely ride. cheaper/better to just sell or make road legal (mind you it would be just to putt around town, no hwy use)

First you would need to get your stock stator rewound to incorporate a lighting coil to power the lights. http://www.procycle.us/dskits/lightcoils.htmThe cost of doing this is around $125. Once you have power for the lights you would also need a voltage regulator ($19.95) (Same address as above) and a complete universal dual sport kit ($279.95) http://www.procycle.us/dskits/dskit.htm Also get a chain and sprocket set for the taller gearing ($64.95) as well.

Our is plated, but not seeing lots of road use, I merely put an LED head and tail lamp with a brake circuit on it (minimal draw), horn and mirror to satisfy a cursory inspection. Technically it's supposed to have a speedo, battery, some reflectors, DOT tires, etc to be fully street legal.

It's road use is limited to connecting trails, zipping from the trail to get a bite to eat in town, and when I'm feeling gooney, zipping to the neighbors on it.

It doesn't go fast enough to break the highway speed limit, so I skipped the speedo. :bonk:

My 07 125LE is street legal.

NY requires turn signals, tail light, head light with high low and high indicator, brake light, horn, and a speedo. I had a BD headlight/taillight kit already, and just added the rest without fanfare. I threw a Vapor on it, which works great (I have one on my DRZ400 too).

It has a top speed of 54 MPH and gets about 90 MPG.

My 07 125LE is street legal.

NY requires turn signals, tail light, head light with high low and high indicator, brake light, horn, and a speedo. I had a BD headlight/taillight kit already, and just added the rest without fanfare. I threw a Vapor on it, which works great (I have one on my DRZ400 too).

It has a top speed of 54 MPH and gets about 90 MPG.

Does the stock coil run everything OK, or did you have to do a rewind?

JayC

Does the stock coil run everything OK, or did you have to do a rewind?

JayC

It does, I have an LED taillight and turn signals, so that saves some wattage. No issues to report. The headlight pulls power from the AC side of the charging system, which is how BD recommends it. The Vapor draws milliwatts. The big draw is the headlight.

TJ

It does, I have an LED taillight and turn signals, so that saves some wattage. No issues to report. The headlight pulls power from the AC side of the charging system, which is how BD recommends it. The Vapor draws milliwatts. The big draw is the headlight.

TJ

One thing that I liked about the BD headlight is that it comes with a switch for high/low as well as off to save battery power :smirk: