Best thing to clean engine block

I have always used degreaser and a scrub brush to keep my engine block clean. I recently bought an older bike that was not washed regularly. It has baked on clay on the block, carb, frame and other components. I have tried brake cleaner, carb cleaner, degreaser and gas.

What is the best cleaner to restore/ block and other areas not easy to clean other than a wire brush?

Eagle-One etching wheel cleaner and a stiff brush.

Keep it (and oven cleener) away from painted parts though. Just wash it off quickly if ya do land some where you should'nt, no biggie.

Works great.

Make sure you get the etching type though. The other Eagle-One stuff does nothing for baked-on crud.

I thought I put a link to NAPA to show the spray on aluminum cleaner I use sometimes. I'm guessing it got taken off ? Maybe you can't put links in here ? Anyway that's what I use and it is very easy and works well. ..just spray it on ...wait a little and maybe brush a little in some tough spots and wash it off.

I thought I put a link to NAPA to show the spray on aluminum cleaner I use sometimes. I'm guessing it got taken off ? Maybe you can't put links in here ? Anyway that's what I use and it is very easy and works well. ..just spray it on ...wait a little and maybe brush a little in some tough spots and wash it off.

no, its on there, i seen the product. im gunna try it this next weekk when i rebiuld my sons 125.

thanks, tony

I will try the oven cleaner and if that doesn't work ill try the soda blaster. I use the pressure washer and purple power to keep mine clean. Ive tried it on this but since its an 86 model, there are years of build up & stains on it that purple stuff wont touch.

I will try the oven cleaner and if that doesn't work ill try the soda blaster. I use the pressure washer and purple power to keep mine clean. Ive tried it on this but since its an 86 model, there are years of build up & stains on it that purple stuff wont touch.

oven cleaner just seems to risky! for me anyway. i'd go with more elbow grease vs. harsh chemicals. my .02

soda blaster, I've got about 18,000 tied up in one, but you can also use a harbor freight pressure pot for cheap and use it,not as fast but if your doing it for yourself who cares.

Good thing is they don't hurt glass, rubber, brite work they are fantastic tools, just not great on heavy rust.

Don't get me wrong, I love any chemical that makes life easy, I don't care if birds fall out of the sky when I open the bottle, but soda blasting is the %#$@.

Eagle-One etching wheel cleaner and a stiff brush.

This^^. I use it all of the time on stained aluminum. Use EasyOff HD oven cleaner to get back to a clean base for starts and then the Eagle One cleaner after nasty mud rides and it will stay clean. If you're worried about protecting everything around the block, spray a heavy coat of Shout laundry stain remover on everything and it will help protect it from over spray/run-off of the cleaner. I have had no problems with this process in 5 years of using it.