Sign in to follow this  

Sand Tires

Anyone used them on a sand-track and what were your impressions? Enormous difference? Shoulda saved your cash?

I was considering buying a wheel to put a sand-tire on since half my races in the coming year will be on a sand-track.

The taller the knob, the better, its that simple. So tires like the Bridgestone 203/204 with that super tall knob, those work well in sand.

Actual "sand" specific tires are a waste in my view, unless you're dealing with dune sand, where a tire with more of a paddle will help like the Bridgestone 1 series.

Try the Bridgestone 203/204 combo, mount a set to your spare wheels and at the next sand race, try 'em. I've been very impressed by these tires, well priced and they work great at the onset of use. :bonk:

The Pirelli Southwick tire is like magic. It's like adding a turbo in the sand. I've only run it at Southwick though... Well worth it if you are racing a sand track.

The Pirelli Southwick tire is like magic. It's like adding a turbo in the sand. I've only run it at Southwick though... Well worth it if you are racing a sand track.

do you mean Kenda?

there is one track i race at here in ontario (gopher dunes) for those of you that have heard of it. and has very fine powdery sand and i use a michelin sand 4 tire and do notice a bit of a difference over a regular hardpack style tire, but with sand alot of times momentum is everything

The Pirelli Southwick tire is like magic.

Kenda Southwick tire.

Yea I heard they were pretty decent, especially because they mostly do off-road tires. Might not be the best for moto, but works in sandy conditions I gather from friends of mine who run them.

No, I'm talkin Pirelli Cross 410 or something. I thought they were called southwicks, but I guess not. It's somewhere between a knobby and a paddle. It is incredible how much more drive you get over a traditional knobby.

No, I'm talkin Pirelli Cross 410 or something. I thought they were called southwicks, but I guess not. It's somewhere between a knobby and a paddle. It is incredible how much more drive you get over a traditional knobby.

Yep, Bridgestone makes a tire like that called the 1 series, so its a 101/102 combo for sand. Everyone seems to love them, but they can only be used in the sand sadly.

Edited by tye1138

there is one track i race at here in ontario (gopher dunes) for those of you that have heard of it. and has very fine powdery sand and i use a michelin sand 4 tire and do notice a bit of a difference over a regular hardpack style tire, but with sand alot of times momentum is everything

Gopher Dunes - that's where I'll be using it. :bonk:

Michelin S-12's. Work good for me. Most MX tracks here in MI. are sand and the few hardpack med/hard tracks I encounter, I just adjust my riding technique accordingly.