Sign in to follow this  

Cracked reed

Hey guys, so I have 98 cr250 that we are putting a wiseco pro lite in tmrw night along with brand new everything else. I've had symptoms of an air leak (at least I've been told) and lately a surging idle. Except the surging idle only has done it now that the temps have dropped below 60. Didn't do it when it was warmer (60 and above I guess) We've pulled my reeds off before and I don't know how we missed this:

The entire black part is a full crack. The reed doesn't even sit flat.

IMAG0563.jpg

They got replaced with boyesen dual stage power reeds. This bike will be like new mechanically and visually tmrw night.

So, cracked reeds...what all kind of problems can it cause? Can it mimic an air leak or is it an actual air leak? I'd imagine so but just wanted to get your opinions. Actually very happy I found this.

:bonk:

What I read was the cracked reed causes a double charge and rich condition. My bike smoked awful while idling and had to be cleaned out or it'd die. Does that sound familiar?

I bet you're good to go. Install your parts and if you still have any issues, I'd build that pressure tester sticky'd in the Honda 2T section and test. Looks really simple and it's got to be the best way to trouble shoot. I might build one soon. If I do, I'll mail you mine so you can use it, since you've been such a big help to me :bonk:

Here's mine

photobucket-1889-1325197294680.jpg

The other reed was starting to crack, I missed it the first time I looked at it.

photobucket-1738-1325197327679.jpg

Nope not really experiencing rich or the bike dying. I was having a surge @ idle, the bike had previously randomly gone to WFO throttle but both times were a verrry rare occurrence. So much riding time between both times it did it, along with literally 10 year old throttle assembly and cable, which was misrouted, so not necessarily the reed.

Tonight we just put in a Wiseco pro lite and got it on, all that's left is to put on the freshly cleaned power valve (it was AWFUL nasty), boyesen dual stage power reeds, freshly cleaned carb, silencer freshly packed, all new gaskets/o rings...

So it's going to be really tough to determine what exactly the cause was as my entire bike is new mechanically and visually, except for the bottom end. We didn't know what to expect when we pulled the jug off. Turns out my bike has never had a top end nor rings done, ever. The piston and cylinder were in excellent condition, but I had lost some compression.

Either way I was happy to find the cracked reed. I know it can cause all sorts of mayhem. The bike will be running tomorrow so I will update. Lookout for my build thread in the Honda 2 stroke or pictures section. Cannot wait...

Black CR ... u r one lucky man ... wish i had all those new parts for my 250 ! What an awsome feeling to have a "FRESH" 250 waiting to be ... BRAAAP :banana:

Good luck keep us posted on results :smirk:

Hopefully i will have mine all freshened up by spring :bonk:

Haha thanks man but luck has nothing to do with it! I am literally sitting outside staring at it. All that has to go on is powervalve setup, then just reeds, pipe, carb N bran new plastics!!!

Pix last night n from right now!

IMAG0564.jpg

IMAG0566.jpg

IMAG0568.jpg

IMAG0569.jpg

Teasers :bonk: I will be ripping on this bike before night. Lookout for new thread tonight filled with pix. It's gonna be SIK with the all white plastix. I also got the one industries 2012 Honda cr stickers. It'll be mainly blak n white with red anodized motor parts, and hubs, gotta get blak rear wheel too!!!

Thanks for looking...

Id put it together and if the problem persists, go 1 richer on ur pilot jet

Well fellas as some of you know, she's done!

IMAG0580.jpg

Runs like I've never known before. I am scared of it again. I've barely gotten into the power. She starts first kick, idles like a dream...NO complaints here.

Id put it together and if the problem persists, go 1 richer on ur pilot jet

So far so good. I've got a 55 pilot in it now (service manual specs) but if it does it at all in the future I've bought a 58 that is waiting to go in her! :bonk:

Haha that's what my buddy with the 2011 crf250 that helped me rebuild all of it said!

and it's in the picture/video section!