Sign in to follow this  

deep trouble with yz 250 electrical wiring

Well im rebuilding a yz 250 1997 i got it for free but it was a mess, it had the top end missing and power valve, old nasty chain, poorly painted frame, etc,

well so far i have $950 invested and much more to come,

Turns out my cdi and ignition coil don't work, i haven't rebuild the engine yet. but the previous owner told me it didint work

Now but year would fit the this bike its a 1998, ive having trouble finding the voltage numbers for the ignition coils, and im not sure if the cdi run by that to? any help anybody,

And i buddy of mine has the cdi and ignition coil off a yz 125 2001 think it would fit.

please help:banghead: yz 250 1997

I found a complete electrical system, cdi, ignition coil, kill switch for a yz 250 1994, now do you guys think i would fit a yz 250 1997?

Edited by cr250_gus

I don´t understand everything you need, first of all yz 125 cdi has nothing to do with 250 one, you have to rebuild your engine and when you have everything ok you make sure that your cdi unit and coil isn´t working....

Here you have part numbers of the cdi and coil

http://www.mrcycles.com/fiche_section_detail.asp?section=31048&category=Motorcycles&make=YAMAHA&year=1997&fveh=788

97-98 will swap directly out maybe even 95-96. Id search for a 98 CDI though. Gives some pretty good gains up top. Im running the 98 CDI on my 96 Yz250.

As Kompressor stated, put the bike back together first before buying electrical components though. Sounds to me like this guy was chasing an issue that he had no clue where to start so he was just guessing.

Could be that the stator is bad which wasnt pushing any power to the CDI/ coil so thats why they werent working. Too many if's to start buying stuff like that without doing your own tests IMHO. Unless of course you can get a steal of a deal on a full set up on ebay or something.

97-98 will swap directly out maybe even 95-96. Id search for a 98 CDI though. Gives some pretty good gains up top. Im running the 98 CDI on my 96 Yz250.

As Kompressor stated, put the bike back together first before buying electrical components though. Sounds to me like this guy was chasing an issue that he had no clue where to start so he was just guessing.

Could be that the stator is bad which wasnt pushing any power to the CDI/ coil so thats why they werent working. Too many if's to start buying stuff like that without doing your own tests IMHO. Unless of course you can get a steal of a deal on a full set up on ebay or something.

thanks for the advice ill look on ebay