Sign in to follow this  

helmet cams?

thinking about buying a helmet cam of some kind.

does anyone have any good advice on which product to buy?

the gopro seems popular but how hard are they to mount? there are alot of other cheaper models around.

+1 for the GoPro

I'm biased and haven't used any other cams, but can say you will not be disappointed with the GoPro. They seem bulky, but you do not even notice it mounted to your helmet. I have not ripped a mount off yet, even with it mounted on the side and snagging on vines a couple of times, and a few good crashes. The cameras are bulletproof when mounted in their case, and there are so many different mounting options.

I can't say a bad thing about the GoPro.

9 out of 10 people on this forum will tell you to buy a Go Pro. They have a huge fan base and a hefty marketing campaign. I prefer the Contour line of cameras myself. Form factor plays a huge part here. Its true, you can mount a Go Pro just about anywhere, but it looks like you have strapped a point and shoot camera to yourself no matter what you do.

Can you mount a Go Pro under your visor, sure you can, but it won't be as unobtrusive as this no mater what you say.

IMAG0246.jpg

I have used several different mounting techniques, and all work to varying degrees. That being said, I think if I were in the market for a "first time buy," I'd look hard at the Liquid line of goggles with the cam built in.

Go Pro all the way! Video quality is outstanding and you can mount GoPro anywhere - helmet, chest, bike, etc... Durable, waterproof casing.

I think what matters is the result - your video. Not what it looks like mounted.

9 out of 10 people on this forum will tell you to buy a Go Pro. They have a huge fan base and a hefty marketing campaign. I prefer the Contour line of cameras myself. Form factor plays a huge part here. Its true, you can mount a Go Pro just about anywhere, but it looks like you have strapped a point and shoot camera to yourself no matter what you do.

Can you mount a Go Pro under your visor, sure you can, but it won't be as unobtrusive as this no mater what you say.

IMAG0246.jpg

I have used several different mounting techniques, and all work to varying degrees. That being said, I think if I were in the market for a "first time buy," I'd look hard at the Liquid line of goggles with the cam built in.

I have both cameras and the Contour is definitely a better camera if you are only going to mount it on your helmet. I hate the rail mounting system that Contour uses...too much slop with that system.

If you want a more versatile camera, get the Go Pro. You can mount it anywhere.

The Liquid Goggles is a great concept, but the video quality is not on par with Contour/Go Pro yet. Maybe their new HD1080p goggles are better...I haven't seen any footage yet.

The Contour has to be mounted WITH NO MOVEMENT. I use the adhesive side mount and the image is perfect. Use a Google or other type mount that allows movement and the image will SUCK. I prefer the Contour because of it's this Profile. I use HD720 @ 60fps and it is a GREAT VIDEO. The GoPro is a Great system also, but too Bulky for the NE Woods, IMO.

IMAG0246.jpg

i saw this contour one but wondered if it came with a protective, waterproof case?

its camera lense looks prone to fall victim to roost!

Go to Youtube and put a search on it. I have had the older non HD gopro and was looking to upgrade. The Youtube comparisons made it easier for me to choose the new Gopro HD 2. That's what my wife got me for christmas so I've yet to use it. My buddy has the Gopro HD which works well also and cheaper but after comparing I wanted the improved view with the glass lense of the gopro HD 2.

My buddy loaded and edited some race footage. You can see the difference with his spliced in HD stuff at the beginning and all the my race footage with the old non HD race stuff.

My other buddy has the contour too. I like how it's easier to use and I like the shape. I didn't like getting a water proof case for $40 extra. I think the contour may be a better quality camera. The gopro's waterproof case is very good and comes with though. Here's some vid with my buddies countour:

http://www.youtube.com/user/iKai0505#p/u/11/nVGyNq0bpVI

You can get a deal on the regular HD gopro's and maybe even the contour for less money... It's all in what you think is good enough for your needs. Still I think the best bet would be to go to Youtube and look at your options.

The Contour has to be mounted WITH NO MOVEMENT. I use the adhesive side mount and the image is perfect. Use a Google or other type mount that allows movement and the image will SUCK. I prefer the Contour because of it's this Profile. I use HD720 @ 60fps and it is a GREAT VIDEO. The GoPro is a Great system also, but too Bulky for the NE Woods, IMO.

I agree. The goggle mount sucks. I still got a lot of movement with the adhesive mounts until I put strips of electrical tape between the rails of the part that sticks to the helmet. I still got a little jello effect on really rough trails.

The Go Pro is too bulky for woods riding if you mount it to the side or top of your helmet. I mount mine on my chest protector. There is just enough of my bike in the video that you can see how rough the terrain is.

I too have, and recommend the Go Pro camera. I have mounted it in several locations on my bike without any issues. I have a mount on top of my helmet, which I don't even no its there when riding! Super product!

contour for the ability to chop video without having to re-encode the whole lot, also the slide to record function is heaps better than the gopro. Personally I also find color to be better on my 1st generation contour hd than the gopro hd1, but the gopro shows better contrast.

get a contour roam or +, not the older ones though, thats my vote. Also wait for the one you want to drop to the price you want if that is an issue, don't get something because its cheaper, because they will all be worth nothing in a few years anyway and you will have to fork out twice.

I was looking for a reason to buy something other than gopro, as I had read here on TT about them supporting the tree huggers that are opposed to off roaders. I researched the Contour and found that mounting is a problem and they don't have replacement lenses available. Desert racing would kill the lense in no time, so the wife just got me a Hero 2. Gotta go pick it up next week.

I've built several of my own video systems that use a bullet-style camera mounted on the helmets visor, with a small DVR carried in my hydration pack or a fanny pack. Quality was decent, but got tired of stringing wires under my jersey and disconnecting when removing my helmet.

I've purchased a few inexpensive cameras from China, and for the price (under $30), I really can't complain. However, the video quality just isn't where I'd like it to be. When I get my tax return, I'll be shopping for a nice, quality unit. I've been looking at the Drift HD w/replaceable lenses and wireless remote. I'm not a fan of the bulky size of the GoPro when mounted on the helmet, so my vote is either the Contour or the Drift. Check this one out:

I've built several of my own video systems that use a bullet-style camera mounted on the helmets visor, with a small DVR carried in my hydration pack or a fanny pack. Quality was decent, but got tired of stringing wires under my jersey and disconnecting when removing my helmet.

I've purchased a few inexpensive cameras from China, and for the price (under $30), I really can't complain. However, the video quality just isn't where I'd like it to be. When I get my tax return, I'll be shopping for a nice, quality unit. I've been looking at the Drift HD w/replaceable lenses and wireless remote. I'm not a fan of the bulky size of the GoPro when mounted on the helmet, so my vote is either the Contour or the Drift. Check this one out:

looks the buisness for mx.

i like the remote control option. i assume that turns the filming/recording on and off?