Sign in to follow this  

2000 cr250 vs '92

So I posted about a '92 awhile back. I received words of wisdom saying I could get a newer bike for a bit more. Are there any negatives about the 2000 cr250? I'm not sure if this is an annoying thread for you guys, but I am just looking for incite and advice about the 2000 cr250.

Here is a few pics of the bike, he is asking $1200, could possibly get it for $1000 and it is a 5 hour round trip drive.

104_0088.jpg

104_0086-1.jpg

What has this pipe been through????

104_0091.jpg

I could probably get the '92 for $650, he is asking $800, it has a '98 engine with a new top end. Plus it is local.

5G55Ff5M13k23J83H6bcl31601d82cd80193d.jpg

id prolly go the 2000, but i do mx jumping.

its hard to say, the 92 could be just as good if its had any work done.

the big diff is the suspension.

the 2000 has twin chambers and high speed rear compression.

the 92 has wet bath single chamber types and possibly no high speed damping.

the 2000 looks like its been abused alot.but id take it.

id probably take the 92 with the 98 engine , looks pretty clean except that exhaust , nothin wrong with an older bike if its been looked after and still has plenty of compression etc ...

I am used to heavy vintage bikes with no suspension so I think the '92 suspension wouldn't bother me. Since the '92 has a '98 engine, do the 2 bikes share the same engine? I plan on doing some track days and maybe a few races. Plus lots of trail riding, possibly a harescramble.

honestly, if it was me, id take the 2000 for $1k if you can do it, and rebuild it.

i bought my 2000 for $1200, rode it once or twice and rebuilt it. found the intake piston skirt about to break off. if youve got all the tools, you can have a completely rebuilt engine in that thing for $1300 or so including the price of the bike if you get it for $1k.

id rebuild the shock, forks, and linkage and be done with it.

Is it just me or does the left side rad look twisted on the 2000?

2000 for sure, im all for vintage ( both of these are vintage now i guess) looks cleaner and if its all there you should be all set

the 00' is a good bike, almost the same as an 01' except porting, the 00' has the kehin carb, which a lot of people put on the 00' carbs on the 01's or put a regular pwk kehin carbs on because there less picky for changes in elevation etc. If i was gona buy a early year cr, it would be a 93' or newer. Take the expansion chamber off and get a flashlight and shine it into the cylinder, can tell whats going on in there...

axt the 2000 owner to drive half way and you'll take it for $1K cash now. you could get pipe straightened and sandblasted and then hi temp paint it black. new pipes cost too much. :smirk:

OTOH, maybe you can get the '92 for $500? :bonk:

axt the 2000 owner to drive half way and you'll take it for $1K cash now. you could get pipe straightened and sandblasted and then hi temp paint it black. new pipes cost too much. :banana:

OTOH, maybe you can get the '92 for $500? :smirk:

+1 .....get both on the cheap take the motor from the 92 and part out the rest on ebay ... $500 would be worth having the spare engine alone :bonk:

2000 for sure, im all for vintage ( both of these are vintage now i guess) looks cleaner and if its all there you should be all set

No, vintage is my '74 Triumph TR5MX, '92 is really modern. haha

bikepics-2316229-full.jpg

bikepics-2260473-full.jpg

The '92 needs levers and a rear tire. I am liking the '92 because I am on a budget for now and can always resell for a similar price if I get a good deal.

very true, if you maintain it it'll be worth that much

I prefer the steel frames over the aluminum frames

I texted the owner of the 2000 and asked how many hours are on the top end.

He said,"I honestly don't know. I have had the bike for a couple of months now and haven't replaced it. It runs strong and has good compression though."

I am leaning towards the '92. For a 2000 it does look rough.

very true, if you maintain it it'll be worth that much

I prefer the steel frames over the aluminum frames

I am used to steel frames so I don't think I would miss the aluminum frame. I am looking at the '92 a week from Tuesday.

For the few dollars more, I would go with the 2000.

Just looking at these pictures it is pretty hard to tell the actual wear and tear on either bike. one bike is 12 yrs old, and the other 20.

I like to buy, repair, and resell bikes as a bit of a hobby. I always try to stay arouind a 2000 or newer, as older ones resell harder and arent worth as much. Although that 92 seems reasonable priced, I am sure it will nickel and dime you significantly more than the 2000 would.

The topic of resale was brought up a couple times here, in my area, a aluminum frame honda will resell much easier than the older one even with differing prices. People just like that shiny aluminum and that its newer. In the spring around here that 2000 would pull $1500+ when properly cleaned and polished, that 92 would pull $800 tops.

If your keeping it I'd go with the 92 steelie frame & upgrade the suspension. I preferred my 93 over a 97 & 01 I owned. The 93 handled a lot better than the 1st & 2nd gen aluminum framed CR250's.