Sign in to follow this  

Wrenching on our Bikes in the Cold?

is it safe to wrench on my 08 in a non-heated garage with the weather outside ranging from 2 degrees- -5 degrees celcius outside?

i have to swap my top end out and i want to know if there is any precautions that i should be taking?

Here's a precaution - Dress warm!

Its difficult working in those conditions.

I'm in the same situation living in the north east. One thing I did was to get myself one of those double burner Heater Buddy's that mount to the top of a 20lb propane tank.

It helps take the edge off. And you can direct the heat to where your working. It's a bit dangerous if working with flammable liquids. So you need to use your head. My garage has 12 foot ceilings and no insulation so whatever heat I can generate doesn't stay around long.

Maybe we should start a thread related to how to build a year round work shop

12' ceiling you could use a ceiling fan to push the warm air back down. insulation is cheap and easy to install. don't know how big of an area you have, but a propane heater can throw some heat. i've used them outside in tented scaffolding and it was pretty warm, especially the higher up you went.

Just move it into the family room like I did. Put down a piece of 1/4 plywood and covered with a tarp. Sip coffee, wrench, watch it snow.....

Just move it into the family room like I did. Put down a piece of 1/4 plywood and covered with a tarp. Sip coffee, wrench, watch it snow.....

there you go...

blows big to be you guys, was a sunny 70* on the upper Texas coast today.....be careful with those propane heaters inside if they are not working right you can CO your self real easy

This is a difficult question, because ambient temp is ambient temp. Surging temps are the ones to watch out for. A heated room is the way to go, even if you can raise the temp by 10 degrees.