Sign in to follow this  

speaking of rims

i run mosly in the woods. what is better, the 19 inch rear that came on my bike or should i switch to the 18 inch? whats the advantage or disadvantage of running the 18 or 19's? i need to replace the spokes, so when i cut them off i will change the rims at the same time. the originals are in good shape but i want a slightly lighter rim and want to run something other than silver.

ill look into the 18". i had an 18" on my 87 kx250 and it ran well in the trails. come to think of it, the 18 didnt fare well on the track...lol only thing is, i just put band new bridgstones on this past fall and only have two rides on them...lol

I think it has a lot to due with the bike's weight, rider weight, riding style, and tires used whether it really makes a big difference or not. I have been faced with this same dilemma myself in planning my AF conversion. I decided to stick with the 19" for now as I'm a light rider (150lbs/170 with gear), the bike will be really light (sub-210lbs dry), and I'll be running Maxxis tires so I don't think pinch flats or rim damage would be a problem for me. IMO and YMMV!

Just build a spare 18" wheel and mount a trials tire. If you decide you don't like it, I'm sure someone will buy it. Trail guys are always looking for 18's and spare wheels.

i have an 18" rear rim off an older model cr250. it has the same diameter bearings as my kx. ive had it mounted once just to move the chassis around. it just need spacers and dust guards. it also needs new spokes so i guess i can work with it and see how i like it.