Sign in to follow this  

project bike

I'm looking into finding a 2 stroke that needs a liittle work. So my question is what kind of price range am I looking at for rebuilding parts of the engine? I don't have any specifics I'm just looking for some ballpark figures to have an ideal what it could cost.

That is a really vague question...it depends on the size of the engine and its condition. Some rebuilds may only require a new piston and top end bearing. Other rebuilds might require piston, top end bearing, cylinder boring and/or repair bottom end bearings, crank, etc. Its possible for the piston to grenade and cause all sorts of damage to the bottom end. My gut tells me you would be better off buying a running bike instead of a project.

These are just ball park #'s based on my last rebuild.

Figure replate- $180, piston kit $100-150, crank kit $200-250, misc. bearings/seals/gaskets- $50-75, tires $100, reeds- $30, plus any unforseen things you come across that need replaced so $100 is a safe number to go with, and alot of time and sweat... oh, and a few cuss words!!! And that just to make it run. You do the math... it can add up quick, esp when you start replacing plastic, graphics, bolts, and anyother odds and ends. Then add in the cost of a suspension overhaul, say $800 and your better off buying a newer, good condition bike.

If you only have a limited budget or just want a long term project, this is something worth looking into. If your looking for a bike to buy today and fix up in a week then your barking up the wrong tree unless you have deep pockets.

Went from this...

47473_464922967558_741307558_6884057_4156178_n.jpg

To this...

IMG_0470.jpg

I ended up sinking a few grand into this bike not including the price of the bike and its still not finished, and it was running when I got it. Granted I knew this before starting this project. I enjoy rebuilding and collecting bikes and have the funds to do so. But it was still alot more than originally expected! You really need to know what your looking for when plans are made to take on a project like this!

As stated above you have to take into account the possibility of tranny issues, piston meltdown, etc. If you go too old you also have to take into consideration parts avail. and price. Lack of aftermarket support jacks the price up dramatically as well. There is really no good answer to your question.

These are just ball park #'s based on my last rebuild.

Figure replate- $180, piston kit $100-150, crank kit $200-250, misc. bearings/seals/gaskets- $50-75, tires $100, reeds- $30, plus any unforseen things you come across that need replaced so $100 is a safe number to go with, and alot of time and sweat... oh, and a few cuss words!!! And that just to make it run. You do the math... it can add up quick, esp when you start replacing plastic, graphics, bolts, and anyother odds and ends. Then add in the cost of a suspension overhaul, say $800 and your better off buying a newer, good condition bike.

If you only have a limited budget or just want a long term project, this is something worth looking into. If your looking for a bike to buy today and fix up in a week then your barking up the wrong tree unless you have deep pockets.

Went from this...

47473_464922967558_741307558_6884057_4156178_n.jpg

To this...

IMG_0470.jpg

I ended up sinking a few grand into this bike not including the price of the bike and its still not finished, and it was running when I got it. Granted I knew this before starting this project. I enjoy rebuilding and collecting bikes and have the funds to do so. But it was still alot more than originally expected! You really need to know what your looking for when plans are made to take on a project like this!

As stated above you have to take into account the possibility of tranny issues, piston meltdown, etc. If you go too old you also have to take into consideration parts avail. and price. Lack of aftermarket support jacks the price up dramatically as well. There is really no good answer to your question.

pretty much he the nail on the head.