Sign in to follow this  

Tire Choice

Hi all,

I'm looking to buy a new set of tires. I'm not very happy with the handling of the stock Bridgestone so I'm looking for a different brand. Problem is the list is endless...

While reading some Thumpertalk threads I got the impression the Dunlop MX71 are very good. I also sympathyse with Maxxis so I checked the Maxxcross IT. The thing is, I'm reading the website and they are not available in the sizes 90/90 and 140/80 that Honda recommends, what goes?

What exactly do these numbers mean? And how do they relate to my rim?

Thank you in advance.

Hi all,

I'm looking to buy a new set of tires. I'm not very happy with the handling of the stock Bridgestone so I'm looking for a different brand. Problem is the list is endless...

While reading some Thumpertalk threads I got the impression the Dunlop MX71 are very good. I also sympathyse with Maxxis so I checked the Maxxcross IT. The thing is, I'm reading the website and they are not available in the sizes 90/90 and 140/80 that Honda recommends, what goes?

What exactly do these numbers mean? And how do they relate to my rim?

Thank you in advance.

Here's all you need to know about tire 'alphabet soup':

http://www.dunlopmotorcycle.com/pdf/11D_FL_SAFETY.pdf

The kind of dirt and riding type plays the biggest role in what tire to choose, along with price and wear life.

The MX71 rear is a good tire. Not great for deep sand or muddy conditions.

It hooks up extremely well on hardpack and rocks.

The Pirelli Scorpion Pro is great for all around use.

I have found the Maxxis IT and Desert IT tires to be very inconsistent, and when they get old (not worn, just old ) they start to chunk badly on the outside knobs.

Isn't 110 too thin? I'm running the stock 140 but the left side knobs are a little worn by the chain, even though I keep the slack under control.

After some research I was thinking about going for 130/90, available in the Metzeler 6 Days Extreme and Dunlop Geomax Enduro.

Isn't 110 too thin? I'm running the stock 140...

Over here in the United States, the CRF-450X comes with off-road-only, not-approved-for-road-use tires, a 80/100-21 front, and a 110/100-18 rear.

This is because the CRF-450X is not sold as a street-legal bike over here.

The rear rim width on USA bikes is 2.15 , and this measurement is stamped on the rim, itself.

If your rear rim is stamped with this width, you can use a 110/100-18 tire without a problem.

If bikes in your country come with some kind of road-legal tire, I can see why the original tire sizes are different.

Here in Portugal the CRF-450X ships with Dunlop 90/90-21 front and 140/80-18 rear. The bike is actually sold as street legal, even though it lacks the mandatory mirrors, blinkers and stop light :bonk:...

I run the Michillen S-12 130/90 on rear. They don't last long on Dual Sport rides but in the mud they are perfect.

At Least you have many choices in the 18 inch rear tire !!! My IT465 came stock with a 5.60/17 Rear Tire, Now has a Cheng Shen 5.30/17 rear, no longer made !!! Not many choices in wide 17 inch rear tires !!!

Just switched from S12s to Bridgestone M59 front tire and M104 rear. Loving these tires! Can't speak for wear just yet but these tires just flat dig in.

I run a trail tour company, and tires are a major part of my cash flow. I have tried and tested every tire known to man, and as a result, I have grown to love Motoz tires. I have no commercial link to this company, but they rock. Their Desert tire is fantastic.