Sign in to follow this  

VERY "noob" kind of question

Hey guys. I bought a DRZ400S from a guy a few weeks ago and have been having a great time riding the bike so far, 95% of that riding on the street. Getting ready to go to an offroad park tomorrow and remembered the guy included two extra rear sprockets for the bike. I thought I might swap the larger of the two onto the bike thinking it would make it a little more fun off road. So my stupid question is this... I see pictures all the time of dirtbikes standing up on milk crates or boxes with the rear tire up in the air. I thought maybe I'll do this to remove the rear wheel to do the sprocket swap. But it occurs to me that I'm not quite sure how to get the bike up onto the box. What's the trick to do that? I was thinking of maybe trying to sort of tip the bike up on the kickstand and balance it right there on the tip while my son shoves the box up under the bike and then let the bike back down onto the box... Something like that? Thanks in advance for help. I *warned* you this was a VERY noob question in the title... :bonk:

By the way, the chain looks like there's enough slack in it to accommodate the larger sprocket if I adjust it right so I don't think I'll have a problem in that area.

Lifting the bike on the stand is a learned technique. Park the bike at a slight angle next to the stand (stand on the side of the bike away from you). Grab the bike under the rear fender and put your hip against the seat. Using the leverage of your hip, lift it on to the stand. It won’t be easy with a bike as heavy as the DRZ. The easy thing to do is invest in a step stand of some type.

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/productDetail.do?navType=type&webTypeId=96&navTitle=Dirt+Bike+Parts&webCatId=19&keyword=stands+%26+lifts&prodFamilyId=23031

CoKTM

I'm 6'6 330lbs. Strenght helps. I stand on the left side of the bike, put the crate directly in front of my feet, and lift the bike from the handles and then slide the crate under the skid plate then adjust the bike accordingly. Have fun. I love my DRZ

Leverage and hips! I lean my bike to its left and weight the front wheel, then grab the back fender area and give it some hip/right leg english. (sounds like the same technique coktm suggests) However, what works for me/him might not for you. You might be smaller and unable to do that maneuver, or bigger and able to just lift the bike on the stand (okay, since you're asking, that's probably not the case) You'll figure it out....good luck!

Or buy one of these.....

http://www.harborfreight.com/350-lb-motocross-dirt-bike-stand-66552.html

I have one and really like it (especially for the price)

I'm 6'6 330lbs. Strenght helps. I stand on the left side of the bike, put the crate directly in front of my feet, and lift the bike from the handles and then slide the crate under the skid plate then adjust the bike accordingly. Have fun. I love my DRZ

:bonk:

I have a buddy a little bigger/taller than you and lets just say that you guys don't have to worry about that pesky leverage thing as much as the rest of us.:smirk:

Thanks for the feedback, guys. I have a motorcycle jack that I've used a lot but never on a bike with the height of the DRZ. Turns out it DOES lift high enough, though. I got the wheel off, got the sprocket off, new sprocket on, then discovered that actually the chain is NOT long enough for the bigger sprocket. I put the original one back on there. It's got 40 teeth. I was trying to fit a 50 tooth sprocket to it. Oh well, at least I got the chain adjusted better. It was getting a little sloppy. Thanks again.

40 to 50? yikes!

Perhaps someone can tell you what ratio you should be using fo that bike. Need to know your front size (exactly, not 13 or 14, but exactly).

Do not use the kickstand like you mentioned. You will break it.

Thanks for the feedback, guys. I have a motorcycle jack that I've used a lot but never on a bike with the height of the DRZ. Turns out it DOES lift high enough, though. I got the wheel off, got the sprocket off, new sprocket on, then discovered that actually the chain is NOT long enough for the bigger sprocket. I put the original one back on there. It's got 40 teeth. I was trying to fit a 50 tooth sprocket to it. Oh well, at least I got the chain adjusted better. It was getting a little sloppy. Thanks again.

If you want to try a lower drive ratio, buy a front sprocket that is a tooth smaller. They're only ~$8, an easy swap, and no messing with chain length.

JayC

If you want to try a lower drive ratio, buy a front sprocket that is a tooth smaller. They're only ~$8, an easy swap, and no messing with chain length.

JayC

OK, I'm glad I mentioned the size I was planning to try. Don't worry... like I said, the chain isn't long enough for that 50 tooth sprocket anyway. I think the 40 tooth one is about perfect for the street where I do most of my riding. I realize 40--->50 is a BIG jump but I figured that would turn it into a wheelie monster for the day doing the offroad trip I'm going on tomorrow. I've read the front sprocket gets much more wear than the rear one so it's better to replace the front one. I was only trying the rear one because I already had it and it would have been a free mod to try if my chain had been long enough. But I'll keep in mind that if I do want to try another ratio that it will make more sense to swap the front sprocket. Thanks again for all of the friendly advice. :bonk:

If you are running the stock 15 front and a 40 on the back you will not like how tall first gear is if unleass you are riding in some wide open terrain. When I first rode 15/44 (stock S gearing) it was way to tall for the tight single track here in the Oregon Coast Range. I finally settled on 14/49 but would probably go to 14/47 for the more wide open areas of central Oregon.