Sign in to follow this  

Upgrade from 06 to 09 should I do it?

I have a chance trade my 2006 CRF450R up to a 2009 CRF 450R. I feel comfortable on the 06 and have put in the rekluse, steering stabalizer, radiator gaurds, and oversized radiators. Mostly ride trails and do some XC racing just for fun.

The 09 has a pipe and not much else done. It does come with some spare parts, clutches and such.

Wanted to get a few opinions on guys that have owned both and see if it was worth it. This upgrade won't cost me much after selling my 06.

"Upgrade" to fuel injection is pretty subjective. Isolated track conditions maybe but if I'm miles away from civilization I'd rather have the mechanical carb.... He said he rides mostly trails

Good point. No I ride the trails. The guys selling the bike rides MX but has not abused the bike. This is one of the cleanest looking used bikes I have seen.

Had the 06 and now have the 09. The 09's advantages include; being lighter, turning sharper (not better), and having EFI. And, I would say that the EFI isn't much of an advantage. Overall the 06 is a much better package. Especially for off road.

Nope.

+1 because if you want a bike that is as easy to ride in the woods as your 06 it will take a lot of work: new rekluse, flywheel weight ect. I ride Vet MX with my 08 equipped with a rekluse Z-start Pro, Flywheel weight, and R&D power pump on carb. Bike never stalls, is easy for a Vet to ride fast for longer periods. I rode a 09 and didn't like the instant throttle response/herky-jerky feel. I would think it would be a handfull in tight woods sections. Unless your bike is clapped out I would keep it.

Recently upgraded in Oct. from an 06 to the 09 model. The 06 is a great bike & overall package & doesn't need much improving it's a different bike to the newer crf 450's. The 09 got bad reviews so I was hesitant at first & second guessed my decision after I sold the 06. In stock form the 09 has an abrupt initial hit & goes into a good mid & signs off in the top to soon. It will greatly benefit from a remap to broaden the power curve. I had Eddie Sisneros due mine & it makes a big difference best $50 spent on a mod. It now has a smooth trackable power curve off idle into a good top & overrev.

As with any bike you'll have to set the susp. for your weight & riding. I found the 09 susp. to be decent once I set it up. The bike does turn better than the 06 & feels light in comparison. Try & ride one to compare before you decide on the purchase.

Bought a 06 new. never was comfy on it, way too big and heavy feeling. Didn't like the way it turned. every time I went down on that bike, it was because the front tire would "wash out". once the tire started to slip, BAM...dirt samich with no warning. Tried putting a 756 on the front, but it didn't help. I usually ride in soft dirt, almost never hard pack.

Sold it after 2.5 years and bought a new 09, couldn't be happier. Only have about 20hrs so far, but it has yet to go down. I can push it hard through a turn and even get it to start to slide, but it never just gives out.

It feels like a 250 with alot more motor, way easier to flick around.

The 09 is also more tunable. just sent the ecm to Eddie Sisneros and tell him how you want it to run. you can do it yourself with the proper equipment and research.

Now I'll give you 09 lows

1, not as straight line stable. because it turns so good, you can't have the best of both.

2, the clutch pull is horrific. (it's the POS cable) a hydraulic clutch is a must IMO.

3, Gotta balance the stance. I had to put a lowering link on the rear. too twitchy for me stock.

06 high, The 08 and earlier Will always be more high speed stable. If you ride in a place like the desert, don't buy the 09 and up.

i went from a 06 to a 09 crf450 in june honestly have to tell ya i hated it.the only way i could get the 09 to work for me was a higher comp piston,crower cam which is a 2011 cam with dans specs frickin love it.remapp from the man eddie and factory connection suspension with the link which cost alot and now i love the bike.would never go back to the older chassis crfs.kinda odd i had my old bike in my shop few weeks ago so i decide to sit on it and hated the feel of it.the newer generation crfs are nice.just need to get used to them

i have rode both and prefer the 06. the 09 is lighter in the air and enters corners better but the suspension, tracking, and EFI delivery (in stock form) is a step backward compared to the 06. the 09 suspension is just down right weird to be honest. it would work great in one section of the track and then in another be totally harsh. the 06 is consistent during the whole moto and predictable.

i have rode both and prefer the 06. the 09 is lighter in the air and enters corners better but the suspension, tracking, and EFI delivery (in stock form) is a step backward compared to the 06. the 09 suspension is just down right weird to be honest. it would work great in one section of the track and then in another be totally harsh. the 06 is consistent during the whole moto and predictable.

...who keeps anything in stock form for long? Isn't it more about; how much does it cost to iron out any issues the bike may have come with stock? I think the light and nimble feel of the 09 makes everything else something I can live with and sort out.

As someone who comes who has most recently raced in MX on a yz250 and yzf250, I couldn't be happier with the cornering of this bike, all the rest is just a remap and the ability to hang-on wide-open on the straights if there are ruts.