Sign in to follow this  

Valves

Hey guys, anyone know the pro's and cons from titanium, stainless, steel valves? I'm doing a head rebuild and oem valves are titanium but different companies say use stainless instead then others say steel and then some say stick with oem titanium ones :s

Ohhh and how many times can head bolts be used?

i actually just ordered steal valves for my bike.. i dont know much about this but what i have heard is stainless steal valves are gonna last longer. so i went with them. not sure if it means less performance or not, but i am not pro racer, so a little less performance for a longer lasting bike is fine with me... wish i knew more. i am also intrested to see the pros and cons by some ppl who know what there talking about :bonk:

The most economical replacement is using OEM valves, and replace them well before you get to a zero tolerance and then you shouldn't have to do much in the way of seat cutting.

Stainless will last longer, in theory, but if you are swapping from the stock Ti valves to Stainless the cost differance is huge once you add it all up. Because you have to factor in new springs and all. I can't remember the exact numbers but new OEM valves, seals and retainers was about $200 on an RMZ250, that's the cost of just the springs on a stainless steel valve swap.

^Yeah, steel valves are heavier so they need stiffer springs. Stiffer springs wear the cams or followers more. The combination of harder valves and stiffer springs also wears the valve seats more. However, many people who know more than me say the steel valves on older KTM motors last forever so :bonk:

Only valves in my bikes are power valves which sound much cooler than Ti or stainless valves. They have POWER!