Sign in to follow this  

New piston kit, which one? Big bore?

hello everyone! happy holidays!

my engine is burning oil so bad so im changing piston kit.

My question is... Can i use a big bore kit? Lets say an 82?

If i use this size besides of machining the cylinder ...

Do i need to change anything else???

Tks for your answer!!!

Depending on how many hrs you have on your bike I would say:

at 20 hrs: Get new piston rings or complete piston kit (standard)

at 40 hrs: Replace piston with standard kit

I think Honda advices to replace the piston after 15 hrs. I would also measure the cilinder and see if it is within spec (see service manual).

No way in the world would you need to change your x piston at 15 hrs:lol:Unless we all ride like bubba:smirk:

Whats your budget?What do you want out of ur setup?

No way in the world would you need to change your x piston at 15 hrs:lol:Unless we all ride like bubba:smirk:

Whats your budget?What do you want out of ur setup?

tks guys!

Ok i want to spend just the correct ammount to fix my engine so it doesnt burn the oil anymore.

i have the jd jetting installed and powercore exhaust and the megabomb.

Im not looking for more power, thoug if i can gain 50cc doing the big bore piston kit is not bad at all. But only if it depends only on machining the cylinder, if i have to change the head and cam and more things i don think so.

So what should i do. For sure im installing a new piston kit my eshaust is wet of oil i need to refill at least every 4hrs. About half litter.

I saw a wisseco kit 78mm at ebay around $125

Tks again.

hell no would I replace it at 15 hrs, not even 30!!! lol That's like 4 or 5 rides for me. i don't have that kind of time and money to have the bike in the shop every other week getting a rebuild:bonk:

I get tired of changing the oil and oil filter every few rides. I wish I new how to replace the top end, I would def do it once or twice a year!!:bonk:

Me im all about the 13.5.1 high comp piston after rideing a friends in both stages of tune.No other mods needed,runs normal fuel,cost the same as a oem honda part ISH.:bonk:

Me im all about the 13.5.1 high comp piston after rideing a friends in both stages of tune.No other mods needed,runs normal fuel,cost the same as a oem honda part ISH.:bonk:

I agree a great mod for little $$. You can run an 08r piston that will get you close to that CR for even less than an aftermarket piston.

Are you sure it's not the valve seal/s leaking or a broken valve guide? I would check there first. :bonk:

the stock cyl can't go 82mm, you'd have to use a new cyl kit. How much road riding do you do in your country? that;ll make it sip oil at a higher rate. Some oil usage is normal, need to keep an eye on it don't' let it get low. Some of the aftermarket pistons use a ring with more tension that seem to control the usage a little better, but harder on the nicasil, and don't rev as freely but you'd probably never notice,

hello everyone! happy holidays!

my engine is burning oil so bad so im changing piston kit.

My question is... Can i use a big bore kit? Lets say an 82?

If i use this size besides of machining the cylinder ...

Do i need to change anything else???

Tks for your answer!!!

Edited by highmarker

I'm jumping on this wagon to per Speedy:smirk:

I'm jumping on this wagon to per Speedy:smirk:

As all you lucky usa feckers get parts at a bloody good price:banghead:Im gonna order a 07 r version cylinder head and 08r piston oem parts from your side of the pond,and do the lot in one go:smirk:

What do you mean? Like do a few mods while the cylinder is off:bonk:

Yep, as the r version head has better porting for mx,and a higher comp 08 piston all oem parts at usa prices is really cost effective.For me you might as well do a few mods as you have it in parts anyhaw:smirk:At least thats what im doing:busted:

Tearing mine down this weekend and sending the head off to AS Racing for valves/srings and port polish. Paul says he can reconfigure the X ports to nearly match the R ports. He recommends the OEM 08R piston at just under 13.5:1 and the 08R cam. His advice has always been spot on. Service Honda has the OEM R piston, wrist pin, clips and rings...$111.00 and the OEM 08R cam...$165.00 + s/h of course.

ST O.D.