Sign in to follow this  

Running the axle back 1 inch how will it affect handling?

I am toying with extending my swingarm 1 inch on my CRF 450.

Here is what I am trying to do. 1, I want to make the bike power slide better under power without trying to highside. 2, I want to make it go over rough torn up whooped out terrain better and straighter at speed.3 I want to slow the nervous front end down to track better in sand. 4 less wheelie prone, will this help ?

Thankyou for any help!

I think of it this way: By sliding the rear wheel back you are actually shifting the center of gravity forward. Lengthening the distance, from the swing arm pivot to the rear axle, is the same as moving the engine forward. True, this would put more leverage on the rear shock making it feel softer at a given setting, but at the same time the overall weight bias of the machine has more forward bias.

Now, by moving the rear wheel forward you are essentially moving the motor and center of gravity towards the rear axle. This will shift more weight to the rear and off the front end. At this point we adjust the rear damping and spring rate to work correctly with the swing arm length. The only side affect is a shorter wheel base on a already twitchy machine, but if everything else is in line there should not be a stability problem.

Yaa I already moved it back all the way,i want the bike to power slide better. The new CRF 450 have a longer swingarm I wonder what they were going after?