Sign in to follow this  

KTM 450 or 525 ECX Street Legal in California

Ive seen a few KTM 450 and 525 EXC's for sale that are newer than 2004 that have California plates. Is there an option to get one street legal in California from the get go. I have narrowed it down to a 2008 or newer Yamaha WR250X due to fuel injection, but was looking at those KTM's (even though they are not fuel injected) they are lighter and with more power might be nice as a SM on the street.

Any input thanks!

The KTM and WR are apples and oranges. WR has a subframe that can actually haul stuff, and has I think 15k mile valve check intervals. But it's heavy and weak. The KTM RFS 450/525 (I have owned both) are MUCH more powerful, much lighter, but maybe not as pavement friendly (though they have a tall sixth that is a great overdrive highway gear), and the KTM will be much more maintenance intensive. Depending on what you want to do with it and how much you want to wrench on it, I bet a KTM would stretch a WAY bigger smile across your face.

Yeah I know they are night and day, but was thinking of doing some 17" wheels if I got a KTM...Ive seen a few KTM's that are newer plated here in California for sale. I was trying to look for a plated 2004 Honda 450x but really havent found any at all here. Even a the Yamaha WR is hard to find used. With that being said I would bet that the KTM would put a bigger smile on my face as well. I dont have a problem wrenching on it, and the fact an old high school / college buddy works at a KTM shop still from what I hear.

450/525/530 EXC dualsport bikes are street legal. Would like to own one, but not in the budget.

450/525/530 EXC dualsport bikes are street legal. Would like to own one, but not in the budget.

Ahh yeah the newer ones are a lot but some of the ones ive seen around 2005ish decently priced.

I was looking a couple years ago for a "legally" plated bike. If you're looking at KTM EXC's they came from the factory plated starting in 07'. I came arcossed plenty of earlier EXC's and MXC's that had plates (when I was looking) but, for me it wasn't worth the risk of possibly losing the plate since it was converted after the 04' cut off but, before KTM was plating them from the factory.

I've got about 2500 miles on my 08 Beta which has the 525 KTM motor. Other than the normal maintainence, I haven't had to anything.

I have a dirt and SM set ups and LOVE IT.

Having a "plated" dirt bike is the way to go in Ca.:bonk:

P3051379.jpg

PA230152.jpg

I think I would rather have a older Beta with a KTM motor like yours than the motors they come with now.

That is a really cool like

And go for the KTM over the WR

Unless you are riding on a light of tight roads I feel a 250 just has to scream its guts out a little too much on most of the roads .But they look cool and are reliable.

Alright so I would want to look for a factory plated 2007 or newer KTM...that sounds like the hot ticket.

My advice would be either an '07 or '12 in your situation (california). Im not too sure about the motor in the '08-11, had some major issues.

Edit* Or like the guy above said, a factory plated Beta with an RFS would be really nice bike too.

My advice would be either an '07 or '12 in your situation (california). Im not too sure about the motor in the '08-11, had some major issues.

Edit* Or like the guy above said, a factory plated Beta with an RFS would be really nice bike too.

Hmmm never heard of a Beta, I will have to look at them...

I have a 2009 KTM 450 EXC that is set up for the dirt, and I have moto wheels for the street. The bike does both very good. I keep the same gearing on both sets of wheels, so I'm not haveing to change sprockets all the time. My riding buddy has the 08 Beta, and he likes it because it sits about 1 inch lower. The one problem he has is finding parts for it they make them, but you can just go to a web page and just put in Beta to find parts. What I'm getting at is the KTM will do both street, and dirt good. The street moto set-up is going to cost around $1000 if you go new just keep that in mind.

I have a 2009 KTM 450 EXC that is set up for the dirt, and I have moto wheels for the street. The bike does both very good. I keep the same gearing on both sets of wheels, so I'm not haveing to change sprockets all the time. My riding buddy has the 08 Beta, and he likes it because it sits about 1 inch lower. The one problem he has is finding parts for it they make them, but you can just go to a web page and just put in Beta to find parts. What I'm getting at is the KTM will do both street, and dirt good. The street moto set-up is going to cost around $1000 if you go new just keep that in mind.

Yeah I was looking at the Beta, seems to be hard to find parts. I am leaning to the KTM, and thats not bad for a street set-up $1000 seems about right from what I have been reading.

Yeah I was looking at the Beta, seems to be hard to find parts. I am leaning to the KTM, and thats not bad for a street set-up $1000 seems about right from what I have been reading.

the '10 and earlier street legal Betas have KTM RFS motors. Parts are everywhere. The chassis, plastics, suspension, that may be a different story.