Sign in to follow this  

Hard to start after 3x3 MOD

I tried a search but came up short for my problem. I did the 3x3 mod but now the bike is hard to start when cold. Once its warmed up it starts right away.

I also notice that when I turn the fuel screw in, it will not really drop until its 1 turn out but it runs better with the screw at 2-2.5 turns out. I increased the idle about 1/4 turn and it seems to help, but I still need to use the choke to start the bike. From what I have read it looks like the pilot should be 22.5 with the ext fuel screw but I want to make sure everything else is right if I am going to pull the carb again. Thanks for any advice.

155 main

25 pilot

keintech ext. fuel screw 2.5 turns out

blue needle 3rd slot from top

twin air filter

DRZ s model

stock carb

Stock Exhaust

I live in Hawaii. Hot humid most of the time. Im at sea level.

Edited by sloc88

Ok well after doing some research its seems alot of guys here are using the 22.5 pilot with the blue needle at the 4th position.

This morning I pulled the carb and put this setup in and now the bike really seems to bog and the start is still hard. I have to use half or full choke to get it warmed up.I also noticed that now when i turn the fuel screw all the way in, the bike still runs. Maybe I need to put the clip back on the 3rd position???

Any help would be much appreciated. Pulling that carb is a pain.

I would have guessed that you need to go richer on the pilot jet instead of leaner.

Needle clip does not affect a closed throttle. There's a RPM graph that shows where each jet is effective.

Stock Exhaust

Is your pipe opened up or still restricted?

You won't realise any benefits from the 3x3 if you have not opened up the pipe a little.

If it's hard to start without the choke , especially in winter, it is completely Normal..:/

Yeah what Craig says is right, even where we live it can be pretty warm and humid.

I always use the choke, winter or summer and it starts up fine every time.

Middle of summer here and very hot and humid . I put the fuel tap to prime , choke on and it starts first time every time , greg

You won't realise any benefits from the 3x3 if you have not opened up the pipe a little.

He should still get better throttle response and driveability even with the stock pipe unmodified, fwiw.

I have not done anything to the exhaust. I moved the needle clip back to the third position and the bike feels better than when I had it on the fourth clip. The bike also seems to start better with the 22.5 jet.

I will do some reading on opening up the stock exhaust. Thanks

one of the first things i did when i got my bike with stock exhaust i noticed a huge difference

one of the first things i did when i got my bike with stock exhaust i noticed a huge difference

What did you do to it?

Mine has all the recommended mods, but I too am still running unmodified stock exhaust, works like a charm.

What you will notice if you open up the stock exhaust is that you will make more noise....

Hp gain will be 5/8th's of F**kall...giving the illusion of better performance..

Best to go with an accessory full system for the wider diameter head pipe....