Sign in to follow this  

1995 RM 250 bogging down and fouling plugs

I have a 1995 Suzuki RM 250 that was running the other day and towards the end of the ride about the bottom of the tank, it bogged down and quit. I checked the plug and it was a little sludgy so I changed it. I then tried starting it and to no avail, so I quit for the night. The next morning I decided to give it another try and it cranked right up. I'm afraid it might do the same thing again so i haven't taken it out. Any suggestions?

clean carb and check float height ... cud have sucked some debris from bottom of tank if u ran it empty and check the usual stuff ie spark , fuel , air etc ... make sure fuel line is clear and petcock working, clean air filter ,clean / repack silencer , correct spark plug ( heat range ) ? etc etc etc :bonk:

If the problem persists, make sure the gas tank vent is not stuck closed or

backwards.

Also try replacing the spark plug boot, there is a resistor inside

(atleast on my 96) and when it goes bad the it will run good with a new plug

which will last almost a full tank then bog down and will not restart unless a

brand new plug was installed. This went on for a couple years, went thru the carb and then went thru the ignition system with an ohm meter and my clymer maunal. After finding the spark plug boot bad (8 bucks) I have not fouled a plug in the 4 years since.

It could also be you needle valve. If it lets too much fuel in it would run too rich and bog. I would check that, but if you havent done a top end in a while i would check that for sure too.