Sign in to follow this  

Leaking Front Fork

I have a leaking front right fork on my '02 YZ250F. It is leaking from the very bottom of the fork at the end cap. Is it a job worth doing myself, or should I take it in and have it done professionally? I would like to do it myself if possible to save money, but if its not worth it, I will take it in. Any and all advice is appreciated.

Thanks

Probably not leaking from the nut. Most likely a leaking seal and it's running down th backside of the leg. Chaeck your fork seals closely.

Good call. I checked more closely and it turns out both forks are leaking at the seal. Is this something I could tackle in my garage? Or should I take it somewhere. Im up for the challenge, but will I be in over my head??

Thanks

Pretty easy to do. Do you have a manual? You can try the 35mm film trick and clean out any debris that may be causing the leak. Look up how to make the PVC seal driver. I've installed seals without a special tool but it does make it a lot easier.

Fairly simple to do. The first time I ever attempted a fork seal replacement it was on my 02' YZ250F. Take your time, and you'll be fine. Here's a great link on how to replace them, and also explains how to make a home made damper rod holding tool. Replace the bushings as well while you have them apart. Also, pay close attention and follow the manual when reinstalling the front wheel assembly. If you don't hand tighten the axle nut, then remove the bike from the stand and rock the front suspension up and down 15+ times (to seat/aline everything), then tighten pinch bolts, then torque axle nut, you run the possibility of pulling the lower fork tubes slightly inwards causing fork seal failure again. Don't ask me how I know! :bonk:

http://www.thumperfaq.com/fork_seals.htm