Sign in to follow this  

What is a "Timid" Rider?

My wife accused me of being a timid rider... sheesh, of all the people! (no she doesn't ride). I'm just wondering what you guys consider a timid rider to be? She seems to think I should be railing corners and catching big air or something. No I don't ride MX tracks, just woods and trails. Anyhow, now she's got me feeling self conscious. What does it take for you guys to think "dang that guy's a puss.... in boots" when you're out riding.

I am a 'timid' rider. I rail maybe once a year. The rest of the time, I putt about. I have had more than my share of nasty get offs. Crashing is not the sign of a great rider, in fact, it is the sign of a person who does not know what his limits are. You cannot ride when your body looks like a pretzel.

I suggest you check to see if the little lady took out insurance against you....

I think she means you're being hesitant when you ride. I consider a timid rider to be someone who doesn't look very confident when they ride, and maybe looks a bit scared.

Tell her that you will start airing it out when she is ok with her being the only one bringing in any money!

Put her on the back an hit a few bumps. That will change her tune.

CoKTM

"Timid" = scared of falling. Wear body armor, install some bark busters (allows the handlebar to slide rather than catch on the ground) and ride at the limit of traction, not being afraid of a slide-out or tree contact. As for big jumps, I think a healthy fear of a big case is good. If you aren't sure you've got the speed to clear it you probably don't.

That would depend on her frame of reference - if she's comparing you to Red Bull FMX or pro SX/MX then pretty much anybody's "timid."

Big difference between riding for fun and riding for fame and fortune. The average joe doesn't scrub or nail whoops at 70mph.

OTOH, maybe she just means you don't look confident/comfortable on the bike; riding on it vs. riding with it. Are you directing the bike, or just along for the ride?

Equally possible that she doesn't understand the risks involved or the dynamics of riding off road.

I am a 'timid' rider. I rail maybe once a year. The rest of the time, I putt about. I have had more than my share of nasty get offs. Crashing is not the sign of a great rider, in fact, it is the sign of a person who does not know what his limits are. You cannot ride when your body looks like a pretzel.

I suggest you check to see if the little lady took out insurance against you....

I've never crashed a bike street or dirt above 5mph :bonk: Broken a leg and needed stitches on a sport quad jumping it, but never on a bike.

That would depend on her frame of reference - if she's comparing you to Red Bull FMX or pro SX/MX then pretty much anybody's "timid."

Big difference between riding for fun and riding for fame and fortune. The average joe doesn't scrub or nail whoops at 70mph.

OTOH, maybe she just means you don't look confident/comfortable on the bike; riding on it vs. riding with it. Are you directing the bike, or just along for the ride?

Equally possible that she doesn't understand the risks involved or the dynamics of riding off road.

She had some friends in highschool who were in to bikes and raced MX. Comparing me to them :/ . I'm guessing they were probably on buzzsaw 125s though. Maybe that's it. My 500 doesn't buzz saw. You get on it for two seconds, it lazily goes brrrrr, and you're at 60mph. I'm off the throttle a lot just because staying on it any longer would kill me or leave me with no room to slow down. I also can't just throw it around. It "FEELS" heavier and less agile than my 40lb heavier wr250x.

Just remind her that in high school,our balls are bigger than our brains,and she shouldn't confuse "timid" with "wise". I watched the birth of my first son leaning on a pair of crutches,and didn't get to carry him until he was 5 months old. I decided after that I would no longer ride over my head, or show off,because I have people who rely on me being at work on Monday. I still have just as much fun,but am no longer the one to test things out. Ive even added body armor and a neck brace to round out my sissy rider persona. Lol

My 500 .

Gonna go out on a limb here but timid riders don't jump on a 500. That thing could climb a tree if you could hang on tight enough.

Ride as fast as you are comfortable, if your not comfortable, back off until you are, that would be timid but smart...more fun riding than falling and not having fun scaring yourself...

You're 27, If you haven't broken something, you're lucky. I broke my ankle when I was 26. Being laid up for 3 months was not fun, but then I strained my back when I got out of the cast, another lay up. Finally got over it all the next summer.

I just had another major crash with 9 broken ribs, a 12 day hospital stay, and 2 chest tubes. My wife's calling me "nuts" for thinking about getting back on a bike. Experience told me I would come out of the dust. Usually I come out on 2 wheels, not on the ground. The sport is dangerous, no matter what you're doing. I did it trail riding with a friend at our favorite spot, and I'm glad I had someone with me.

People think its easy just sitting there and going for a ride, not realizing how much skill and energy it takes to ride. I like Splatt's comment. Just realize that when someone makes a comment, you know what experience they are speaking from.

If you ride off road, you have my salute.

if you arent atleast a little scared then your really not gonna get any adrenaline rush... If your not ever getting that rush then IMO you are timid..

Nothing wrong with riding either way.

Ask her if it's a good idea to have that dessert, next time after dinner. :bonk: I have Titanium and over a hundred stitches in me from get offs over the years. Borrow a friends helmet cam and take a short blatant through the woods with tight trees and have her watch it. Then if she still says your timid, remind her about dessert again.lol

Just remind her that in high school,our balls are bigger than our brains,and she shouldn't confuse "timid" with "wise". I watched the birth of my first son leaning on a pair of crutches,and didn't get to carry him until he was 5 months old. I decided after that I would no longer ride over my head, or show off,because I have people who rely on me being at work on Monday. I still have just as much fun,but am no longer the one to test things out. Ive even added body armor and a neck brace to round out my sissy rider persona. Lol

Well spoken! I feel like a plastic ninja turtle when I get dolled up to go ride. I love to go fast, but at 43, I take a lot longer to heal after a high speed dismount.

Put her on your 500 and tell her you want to see how she can ride it... I'm guessing she'll change her mind.

I ride with a buddy who is quite timid, that doesn't mean he's not fast but he's always thinking/calculating stuff when he rides. He does all of the same jumps I do, we just go about doing them differently. There might be days where it's a little more slippery, he won't do the bigger stuff.. but I will.

It's just how we both ride, he's 40 and I'm 33 so he's got a few years on me. He's also had some pretty bad breaks (literally) the past couple of years, although I just had surgery on my shoulder 5 weeks ago after falling off my 450. It goes both ways I guess.

There aren't many people on the planet that can ride a 500 smoker to their potential... Get a 125 and she'll think you're a rockstar !!!

I'm the fastest rider on earth! :banana: I just get to the finish line slower than everyone else. :busted::bonk:

Seriously though.... Some days I'm just in a groove and go faster. Other times I'm just not feeling it and go slow. Just ride at your own pace and keep it within your limits. :smirk:

My wife accused me of being a timid rider... sheesh, of all the people! (no she doesn't ride). I'm just wondering what you guys consider a timid rider to be? She seems to think I should be railing corners and catching big air or something. No I don't ride MX tracks, just woods and trails. Anyhow, now she's got me feeling self conscious. What does it take for you guys to think "dang that guy's a puss.... in boots" when you're out riding.

Just curious as I didnt see you say, but how does see you ride if you're riding in the woods ? Does she have a bike and go with you ? When I think of a timid rider, I just think of someone who isn't aggressive or doesn't take many/any risk . Like someone else stated , if you're not trying to go pro and are riding for fun , then there's really no need to do something you're not comfortable with . People that don't ride that pass judgement on riders erks me . When I was racing mx my dad rode open practice days and trails too. He always said he was glad that he rode because it always made him realize how difficult riding/racing can be and thus he never forced me to ride over my head. It's hard to ride the balls off a 500 . That's one thing she needs to realize . Buy a 125 and u may not actually be faster but you'll sound faster :bonk: