Sign in to follow this  

Which 250f to buy?

Hi guys, I'm new here and plan on hanging around for a long time. Im 14 years old and have been riding since I was 10. My dad was going to get me a 230cc but we decided that a 250F would be better since I would upgrade soon anyways. I've only ever ridden Yamaha but I really like the new Kawasaki KX250F. My dad and I went to look at a new one (But we will probably buy used, 2009+) My dad liked the bike but he was very concerned about all the plastic parts visible in the engine, where as Yamaha andf Honda did not have this. Is the KX250F a good, reliable bike or should I get a Yamaha, Honda, or Suzuki instead? I dont raqce, the bike will be used mostly for trail and up around my grandpa's land where we have some jumps and stuff. Thanks for your guys input!

yamaha is probably the most reliable bike you can own. Also maintenance is a big key for keeping a bike for a very long time

I would recommend a Husky TXC 250 if you are doing mostly trails with a few jumps. They are as cheap as the Japanese bikes and are designed for both trails and jumps. I personally love mine. Btw, I agree with your username whole-heartedly.

I am interested to know which "plastic parts that are visible in the engine" you are concerned with ???

:bonk:

I am interested to know which "plastic parts that are visible in the engine" you are concerned with ???

:bonk:

I really don't know, my dad just said that there were live covers and gurads that were plastic whereas Yamaha didn't :smirk:

I would go with the yamaha i havent had a problem with my 250f but a bike is a bike and as long as you take care of them and keep them up to date with the sevice the yamaha will last forever.

For 2012s I think green is the way to go. Used I agree with Tony477.

I like red a lot and have had good luck myself either way make sure you do the maintenance.

Edited by Chaconne
spell

Why are you looking at a 250F MX bike to ride trails and land with a few jumps? Seems like to me there would be many more lower maintenance choices for you.

Find a used KDX bulletproof bikes or a KTM EXC250, you can even ride those at night at Grampa's house..................

I would suggest as far as a 250f goes for trail riding, I would look for a 250x or a WR 250f. Those 2 bikes are less maintaince than a 250f. I know I spend a good amount of time doing maintaince on my 250f and have not had any problems so far, but if you don't want to do maintaince after every ride I would look int the WR/CRFX.:bonk:

everyone on here says yamaha but everywhere iv ever gone with a decent amount of bikes if say there were 50 bikes at a track thered be 5 to 10 yamahas. to me kawasaki is my first pick, then itd be ktm, then suzuki tied with honda. i was in the same position and age earlier this year in the same situation. i got a 2007 kx250f which is actually really good on trails but after a few weeks of riding it i realized that with a 250 it was tempting to race and no im id say im mostly racing and do trails a little after school on the weekdays. i have had suspension done for racing and its still great in trails i can do anything my friends with trail bikes and quads can.

in terms of reliability the yamaha is the best pick, it's the only bike still running a carby, which can save many headaches and problems with electrics, and the engine itself has a reputation of being bulletproof, the kawi is a good machine, however even at the best of times the big ends have a short service life, as do the suzuki's, honda's have a reliable engine, the big ends have a long service life, but the valves will need replacing to stainless items fairly soon (after around 50ish hours), honda's also have the highest qaulity parts elsewhere on the bike of the jap's, meaning the chassis will feel tight and have less worn parts in the future, if you were buying purely on performance i would look at a suzuki or kawasaki, for longevity i'd be purchasing a yamaha first, then a honda second, the honda is the better of the two in terms of performance.

everyone on here says yamaha but everywhere iv ever gone with a decent amount of bikes if say there were 50 bikes at a track thered be 5 to 10 yamahas. to me kawasaki is my first pick, then itd be ktm, then suzuki tied with honda. i was in the same position and age earlier this year in the same situation. i got a 2007 kx250f which is actually really good on trails but after a few weeks of riding it i realized that with a 250 it was tempting to race and no im id say im mostly racing and do trails a little after school on the weekdays. i have had suspension done for racing and its still great in trails i can do anything my friends with trail bikes and quads can.

People are saying Yamaha for reliability not necessarily popularity. Just cuz you only see a few where you ride doesn't really mean much in terms of reliability. BTW I have nothing against green have had and few and I have been happy. Some of those other colors you name have given me grief, but would not lead to not consider one again.

If your doing nothing but trail riding, consider the WR250F. They're re-sale is very good if you desire to race in the future. The only other bike I would consider for your potential riding is the Husqvarna TXC250

Good Luck!