Sign in to follow this  

2002 timing marks

My Timing chain has jumped a few links. I'm trying to determine how to find TDC to reset the cams. The manual shows a picture of a line which you line up with the timing marks on the view hole. When you turn the motor over there is 2 identical marks that appear to be 180 degrees apart however neither one of these seem to line up when the piston is at the top of the stroke. How do I ensure the piston is at TDC before I set the cams.

Thanks

Stick a straw down the spark plug hole and wait till it goes all the way up. Then remember how far you turn the flywheel before it goes down. Divide that length in half and that is TDC. There should be a few marks on your flywheel an "I" and a "I--I" use the "I"

Thanks for the answer. I do have marks on the flywheel however it looks like an HI and they are both the same at 180 degrees apart. If I do the straw trick it sounds like the piston should be in the middle of the stroke, if that is correct do I set the cams when the piston is half the distance going up or down.

Thanks for your help.

I double checked and although I thought there was two marks there is only one however, when I set it at the mark (the I of the HI) the straw indicates the piston is closer to the bottom then the top????