Sign in to follow this  

Anybody haul their bike with a mid-sized truck?

I'm almost 16 and am geting my permit soon and am looking into cars (well trucks). I don't want to pay for gas for a full sized v8 truck so I was wondering if you could still fit a bike or two in a mid-sized truck like a Dodge Dakta of something simmilar??

Pictures would be nice too!

i have a 2008 ranger extra cab... i easily carry 2 bikes... xr400 and a kxf450... plus i get 23 - 25 mpg... great little truck.. the lumber rack gets in the way a little so i need to put one bike in forwards and one bike in backwards...

2011-12-19_13-05-15_151.jpg

i haul my kx 250 in a 97 Ford Ranger ... with gate down she fits perfect and i get double the gas milage than my last Dodge Ram V8 :bonk:

Can even fit 2 big bikes no problem i do it all the time ... side by side just have to take time and tie down correctly ... i do both sides of bars to front corners of bed and one acroos the back tires like a tall gate ...

Also way easier to push bike up 2 ft high ramp rather than 4 ft to tall bed of Dodge Ram ... especially when has 10 lbs of mud :smirk:

I have an 06 Dakota Quad Cab 4x4 and I've hauled two bikes in it without a problem. The part I don't like is that I can't close the tailgate with just my bike in there. Even with it diagonal across the bed,the gate won't shut. I used to have a 94 Nissan extended cab 4x4 that a bike fit perfectly in diagonally. I sometimes wish that I still has that truck.

I use to haul my yz250f with a habor frt one rail tailer and pulled it behind my Toyota Celica... That was a few years ago but it worked fine.

2010 Canyon Z71 V8 crew cab (short box) hauls 2 bikes and all the gear no problem, but I like to load one bike backwards.

I used to haul my bikes with my "89 Ranger extra cab v6 5speed with zero issues... even then i raised the truck I would still haul the bikes to the dez... it actually made the truck ride a lot smoother!! lol

I now have a F150 with 4.6 and carry up to 3 bikes... get around 20 on the highway unless i'm hauling the mail. I even tow a 7x14 cargo trailer just fine too!

I can haul 1 bike in my extended cab '03 Dodge Dakota with the tail gate closed. Actually, I've hauled my 300 and a 250F with the tailgate closed. I can't get 2 450s in and close the taigate, though.

I used to drive and old 99 Dakota sport. I could cram three bikes into that truck with the tailgate down. That thing was a pig on gas though even for a little truck.

You can use a small truck, no problem. I've hauled bikes in 85 & 89 Toyotas, and 89 & 98 S10's. All could haul 1 with the gate up and the bike at an angle. All also took 2 bikes quite often.

hitchcrafters_bikerack_640.gif

Any rear suspension mods to pull that off? Thinking of bags or possibly Timbren's on my 98 Astro. Pulled a 7x14 enclosed today, even with just 150-ish lbs of tongue weight and maybe 300 lbs in the van it squatted more than I cared to see.

We used to put two full sized bikes in a Ranger stepside, and then a XR100 in backwards in the middle.

Two bikes in a Dakota should be a breeze!

My daughter's 96 Ranger shortbed will do two bikes with the tailgate down. She's averaging 19 mpg with a 3.0 5 spd.

Another +1 for the ranger, awesome little trucks. Mines hauled a bike or two over the years and many miles.

how much are you looking to spend? lot of options out there. we used to use a ranger, fits 2 bikes no problem.

Any rear suspension mods to pull that off? Thinking of bags or possibly Timbren's on my 98 Astro. Pulled a 7x14 enclosed today, even with just 150-ish lbs of tongue weight and maybe 300 lbs in the van it squatted more than I cared to see.

Not needed on mine. It's a panel van intended for commercial use. It rides stink bug without a load. Rides much better with the bike back there.

The suspension has evolved on the Astros a bit. Mine is a 2005 and has Chevy 1500 series 6 lug hubs and brakes... and full size sedan front end... and 1500 series rear end and springs to match. :bonk:

Not needed on mine. It's a panel van intended for commercial use. It rides stink bug without a load. Rides much better with the bike back there.

The suspension has evolved on the Astros a bit. Mine is a 2005 and has Chevy 1500 series 6 lug hubs and brakes... and full size sedan front end... and 1500 series rear end and springs to match. :bonk:

The earlier astros (early to mid 90's) had the same rear ends as the half tons, just shorter (GM 10 bolt).

The 2wd half tons were 5 lug, 4x4 was 6 lug.