Sign in to follow this  

what should I do?

I have a 2011 kx450 with kinda low hours on it(about 20h)

For the past decade I used to replace my bikes every year.

This year I'm still undecided between keeping my 2011 and modding to my liking a bit more (suspension, oversize brake, bars) or going with the 2012 and have less budget for modifications.

I would spend about 2000$ to get a new bike and about 1200$ on mods for the 2011

BTW, I race a few times a year in the vet expert class.

In your opinion what would be the best decision?

Thanks,

Dany

Edited by dany789

i used to do the same thing, but for the last 5 years I have been running the same bike! Crazy i know... BUT now that the 12's are here and have been "redesigned" per say, i think its the one to settle on, and im probably going to finally update my own bike. The way i see it if u hang on to the 2011 your keeping the last of the 1st gen bikes, if you move to a 2012 you'll be on the first of the 2nd gen FI kawis.

The 2012 is the best kx450f made to date, slimmer frame, easier to tune, more adjustability, more power, etc etc..

IF i were you i would upgrade to the 2012, then maybe consider hanging on to it for a few years... My plan is go with 2012 and hang on to it, only thing that will make me sell is if they come out with a lighter weight 450.

I would get the 12. I rode an 11, and a 12, and 12 was a big difference to me. That is why I decided to a 12. Like RV2 said, they had problems with the 11 they said they couldnt fix. He said when he was just riding from the truck to the track, he could tell a big difference in the bike, and that they were going to finish the nationals on it. I havent had a chance to ride mine yet, I plan on it this Saturday. I rode another friends and I loved the motor, and the size of the bike, and Im coming off a 08 RMZ450.Go to a dealer and sit on one, just be careful, you might leave with it.

i change my bike every 4 years when there's a major update like frame or new engine design.. i say go with the 12!... the last bike i bought was an 09kxf250... this year, i just ordered the 2012 kxf450... my rule of thumb is to keep the bike and modify it, ride couple of years up until the next major update and change the bike.

I have the 11 and plan to keep it. The mods that worked for me were a fat bar hi, steering damper, 52t rear, o-ring, stiffer front compression, softer rear compression, and a heavier Kawasaki flywheel. Despite what I read on this site, RV had good things to say about the 11, he had already won the toughest supercross season in the history of the sport, and he was in the lead of the outdoor nationals. The 2012 is more adjustable but all of my mods would have probably been good on the 12 as well. One of the biggest changes to the handling came from the smaller front tire on the 12 not the 4mm slimmer frame (which had absolutely no other frame dimension changes such as rake, trail, wheel base, etc.) Again, many on this site either don't have the 11 or aren't familar with it's potenial. It won almost all the magazine tests and had a more middle of the road (trail vs mx) suspension than any of the earlier models.

P.S. 2011 had several key reliability improvements over the older models also to shifting, seat, and chain guides. And yes I know the 2012 is even better, but I doubt anyone on this site is a good enough rider to see a tenth of a second faster lap times if truth be known.