Sign in to follow this  

Which tires?!

Hey all, just need help with my tire selection.

I want to throw some tires on my rm125 over the winter

I ride in mainly soft muddy dirt to intermediate.

What have you guys had luck using in terms of traction and durability?

I will hopefully be racing in the spring, so i need something with great traction and something that would last

the main ones i'm looking at are the pirelli mx mid soft 32, michelin ms3, maxxis si, dunlop mx31 or 51, or bridgestone m203 & m204

i run 203/204 or 403/404 bridgestones

kenda millville on the front is good for sandy, muddy,slop

i had the mx51 and did not really like it then again i prefer the michis, alot of people run theme, they have some serious bite, the ms3 will work better in soft stuff than the mx51 and the mx51 will work little better on the hardpack stuff

the Michelins M series are the way to go. I've used both the MS and the MH and prefer the MH for what you just described. The reason was the MH3 did a better job of crossing over from sand to intermediate than the MS did. The performance of the MS was marginally better in the sand than the MH but much worse in the intermediate and hard. The MH3 performs well in the sand as it's got long knobs and digs well. the MS has equal length knobs but are spaced farther apart.

I consistently get 40 hrs of use from the MH3's before i consider them toast. I get 15 hrs from dunlops and 25 hrs from bridgestones 404. I've no experience with pirellis and the maxxis IT got about 45 hrs but it was underwhelming in performance and i was glad when i took it off.

The Michelins also run a bit lower PSI than the others. I usually run 9-10 psi rear w/o any pinch flats on the MX track. Off road, I run 13 psi due to the rocks in these parts.

If you want the best set of tyres available to the general public, you need to try out the Pirelli Int/Soft tyres. Seriously amazing tyres for grip, and give very good life spans. I myself run an Int/Hard rear due to most tracks being more hardpack around here, but always run Int/soft front. Front end grip is amazing. You can push it so much harder than any other tyre you have on that list. By far. I seriously suggest you try it. You wont buy a different brand of tyre ever again. I guarantee it !!

:bonk: