Sign in to follow this  

1999 XR250 Running help...........

2nd ride today in very wet and windy weather

Bike starts hot or cold fine and runs ok

I noticed the 1st time I rode it that the carb was a bit fluffy on pickup, from the overun especially on the road after a long downhill and also sometime on the trails on a slow tight trail when trickling along and you open the throttle to pick up some speed, the carb is fluffy momentarily (no coughs)

Runs fine at all other times and makes full power

Today it was worse (cold temps maybe 2 or 3c) and squally rain and would cut out sometimes on the overun (road and trails) and needed half throttle to restart and the then would be fluffy for a while before running cleanly

Sprayed spark plug with WD40 (running NGK cap not Honda yellow OEM)

I reckon it's maybe float needle and/or pilot jet and I'm thinking about pulling the carb for a clean, fitting new main and pilot jets and maybe an OEM Honda Plug Cap with silicon seal

Any other tips?

I reckon it's maybe float needle and/or pilot jet and I'm thinking about pulling the carb for a clean, fitting new main and pilot jets and maybe an OEM Honda Plug Cap with silicon seal

Any other tips?

Yeah, that all sounds like a good plan. While you have it off cleaning it, don't forget to take out the fuel screw and clean that passage. Account for all parts and reassemble correctly.

Thanks Guys, parts ordered - new Pilot and Main Jet.................now that Xmas is over

Last week it ran really bad, cutting out on the pilot setting after the over-run - so I guess Pilot screw

Will check fuel screw and report back:banana: