Sign in to follow this  

KTM 690 E/R owners: what gearing you running?

I have the stock gearing on mine now. Does anyone know what top speed with the 15/45 combo is supposed to be?

I need to buy a new rear sprocket and they don't make the one I want in 45. So like to get thoughts on other gearing options.

The stock 15/45 should go to max ~105mph / 165kmh, and most agree that dropping a tooth on the front to 14/45 or adding 3 at the back to 15/48 is best for off-road. I personally find the stock ratio is perfect for my dual-sport usage.

Have used 15/45, 15/48, 14/45, 14/48 and currently at 15/51 which I feel is about perfect for my type of riding. Twisty back road, tight woods, mud, etc. Still able to cruise at 65/70mph without difficulty and in theory should last a little longer life than the 14 tooth combos. Go to gearingcommander.com and play around a little.

Have used 15/45, 15/48, 14/45, 14/48 and currently at 15/51 which I feel is about perfect for my type of riding. Twisty back road, tight woods, mud, etc. Still able to cruise at 65/70mph without difficulty and in theory should last a little longer life than the 14 tooth combos. Go to gearingcommander.com and play around a little.

Nice link, thanks. I have been contemplating dropping to a 14 from the stock 15 and retaining the stock 45. I'm not aware of the life issues for the sprockets or chain with that change....?

I just bought a 44 tooth KTM hardparts rear sprocket. You know the orange anodized aluminum inner with the steel outer. Was thinking I would trade/swap/sell it to go for a 46 tooth instead. Currently I'm running stock gearing and the more I think the more I think I'd rather go up than down on the rear.

When I rode the TAT on my 690R the stock 15/45 gears were fine for 98% of it. But for riding around my home it's a lot tighter and steeper trails so I'm considering going to a 14/48. I've heard rumblings that the 14 tooth CS sprocket increases chain wear. Anybody hearing, reading or experiencing this?

I just switched my '12 from 15/45 to 14/45 for a ride down in AR. Better in the slow stuff, but I need to see how it does on the pavement. If it is still OK, I think I will try 14/48.

Cheers,

MrHix

I'm running factory which is good for most everything. It's really the slow technical stuff where the factory gearing falls short but a practiced hand at the clutch seems to provide a fairly adequate workaround. (the clutch is quite good) I'm still on the fence about re-gearing

Just got back from Rockhouse in Hatfield-McCoy and the 14/45 was pretty good there. As deepseaone said, a little clutch work and it is fine. Street performance is fine. If I was mostly offroad, I might look at 14/48, but I will stick with what I have for now.

Cheers,

MrHix