Sign in to follow this  

bleeding rear brakes

ok guys im new to the site so bare with me. got a 99 rm 125 and i just replaced the brake cylinder for the rear. i followed the manuals steps to bleed the brakes but im getting no brake fluid to the caliper or out of the bleeder valve. i can pump the brake pedal all day long but wont get no brakes or fluid for that matter to the caliper. can someone maybe chime in and help me out!!!!

Sometimes you have to bleed it at the master cylinder by cracking the banjo bolt a few times. Air tends to get trapped there sometimes.

The best way I found is to make a "force" bleeder. I took an old plastic bottle with a tight cap and drilled a hole in the cap to fit a piece of air line tube for a fish tank. (make sure the tube fits tight in the hole.) Open the bleed valve and remove the cap on the master cylinder. Turn the bottle upside down and squeeze the bottle to get the brake fluid to the end of the hose. (no air if you can) Put the hose on the bleeder and gently squeeze. ( you may want to fit the hose on first to get it to stretch a little before you start the bleeding) You don't want to force it more than you have to or it will just come squirting out the bleeder. Keep an eye on the master cylinder and when its close to full, close the bleeder valve first, then take the hose off. Then bleed the brakes like you would normally to make sure all the air is out. Then go ride!

This is very typical, and you have air trapped behind the piston. There are two ways you can do this. One is a vacuum bleeder, and draw the fluid down. This will get you close, and then you need to squeeze pistons in to push the rest of the air UP and out. The next way is like KTM does their hydraulic clutches and reverse bleed. Push the fluid in from the bottom, and this can be done with an oil can(pump style). Make sure it is new or clean, and attach a snug fitting hose to can and to bleeder screw. Open bleeder and push fluid in from bottom, and when fluid fills master cylinder it will have removed the air with it.:bonk:

got it fixed! cracked the banjo bolt about 3 times and had brakes so i went ahead and bled them and they work great!!! thanks for the help guys!!!