Sign in to follow this  

tubed tires losing air....

yeah, i know it means i've got a leak... :bonk:

i installed a pair of new tubes and tires on my bike about 2 months ago now, and i've noticed that i seem to be adding air quite often (to me at least)

tires generally lose about 1psi per day, no matter if i'd ridden it or let it sit.

so, i'm guessing i may have pinched the tube a bit when i was seating the bead of the tire... but on both??

just wondering if losing air on a regualr basis is normal or if i pinched them.

was also thinking of throwing some tire slime in them, but have heard mixed reviews like it should be used just to get you home only. I'm not talking about 'fix-a-flat' but actual Slime (the green stuff) I plan on breaking the tires down and putting the tubes under water to check where the leak is so i can patch them, but, figured i'd ask about slime while i'm here.

btw, bike is a 2003 DRZ400s dual sport bike with stock wheels (21" ft and 18" rear)

thank!

Try tightening the valve cores - it helped a bit on a couple of my recent tire/tube replacements. Out of five new tubes, three have slow leaks (all installed by dealer using tire machine). I may try an automotive flat fixer and see how that works (mine's a light foam, smells like Windex).

I've never added air to my RM's tires - not once in nearly 30 years. They're inflated a little too hard, but I'm not touching them. On the other hand, both my YZ's tires had slow leaks out of the crate (literally).

Ray

i once pinched 4 tubes in one day....with 0 riding.

dont change tubes when your hung over like a mother licker.

Use a tiny bit of white lithium grease on cores to make sure air not bypassing grommet. Take core out and wipe a thin coat you can barely see on the core grommet. Also wet the core when tire is pressurized to see if any tiny leak is coming from core itself.

Also check inside of tires very well. Some times a previous puncture may have a little barb poking your new tube... or previous pinch flat has a ruff edge inside the tire.

i've got some extra valve core.... i'll try swapping those before i break down the tires again.....

and the lithium grease also.....

I had the spring fall off one valve core in my hauler..... made for a nice roadside fix lol

luckly the tires were new, so, i don't think i've got any barbs poking.... but, never know if i ran over something

thanks

I have to put a few lbs in both of mine every weekend. May be just 2-3psi, but it's been like that on every tire I can remember. Same thing with my mountain and road bike tires, and they have presta valves that screw down tight.

i've been told that sometimes running very low air pressure can cause this to happen, almost as if there is not enough pressure to keep a good seal at the valve core.

not sure if it's true or not, but only seems to happen when to me while running low psi.

when running at high pressure doesn't seem to be as much of an issue, they stay up forever

i've been told that sometimes running very low air pressure can cause this to happen, almost as if there is not enough pressure to keep a good seal at the valve core.

not sure if it's true or not, but only seems to happen when to me while running low psi.

when running at high pressure doesn't seem to be as much of an issue, they stay up forever

That sounds plausible.