Sign in to follow this  

Check this out guys!! You can dye parts on your bike black, for cheap!!

The Yamaha guys are dying their blue tanks black so it will go with their whole and black plastic kits. Also their dying radiator louvers, caliper guards, fenders, fork guards, etc... :bonk:

I'm gonna dye my caliper fin and guard for the rear black bc I noticed it was PAINTED black, wow.... anyways, you get this dye at Walmart for $1.77 a box, soak your stuff in hot water w/ the dye for a period of time and bam!!

I thought it was a pretty cool mod... What are your thoughts?!:smirk:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=611365

I know this procedure has been online for a few years now and is a good way to make a colored tank black so that you can change the whole color of your bike. (you can't realy have a yellow Yamaha with a blue tank) so we know it will work with black dye. A friend of mine wanted to change the color of his KTM to red. He tried it on a sample piece of old plastic and it came out pink. Be careful and smart.

Also, black plastic looks mint when it's new, but looks REAL ratty when it gets beat up

I did this back in 2007, looked absolutely awesome, most of the parts I did are now gray...They could be re-dyed.

And it won't work on fenders, number plates, shrouds or the airbox door.

garage.php?do=viewattachment&attachmentid=57279&thumb=1

Will work on fork guards, rotor guards, mud flap and the cable clamps

garage.php?do=viewattachment&attachmentid=57280&thumb=1

You guys should try plastidip. Its in a spray can. No prep work, all you do is make sure the surface is clean and spray it on. If you dont like it you can peel it right off and I heard its more durable than youd think. Alot of people plastidip their truck rims or grilles. Wouldnt be great for a tank but for fork guards and such.

You guys should try plastidip. Its in a spray can. No prep work, all you do is make sure the surface is clean and spray it on. If you dont like it you can peel it right off and I heard its more durable than youd think. Alot of people plastidip their truck rims or grilles. Wouldnt be great for a tank but for fork guards and such.

Were do you get it at?

Yeah I think they sell it pretty much anywhere like autozone, pepboys, etc. Im gonna plastidip the rims and grille on my truck when I get back home.

Yeah I think they sell it pretty much anywhere like autozone, pepboys, etc. Im gonna plastidip the rims and grille on my truck when I get back home.

Haven't ever seen it in a auto store. They have it at home depot and ace hardware and places like that. I've used it to do my truck's bumper and fenders, and some interior pieces as well. Did my bikes rims this summer too, has held up through a couple rides. And it's easy to just respray, I have to re-spray my trucks bumper every now. When this stuff peels off I'm thinking about using some truck bedliner spray on the rims...that should be a lot more durable.

DSC00045.jpg

249200_218441928174494_100000260656790_841893_4060109_n.jpg

IMG_20120101_145424.jpg

I don't expect it to last very long...just for the fact that its a dirtbike wheel so rocks will hit it branches will hit etc. I may be wrong though, I need to ride more to really see how it'll last. I did about 5 coats of the stuff so it might be ok for awhile.

Yea, seems like a maint. thing, but I'm wondering how often? Did you remove the spokes and hub to paint? Might be to much work for me, especially if I have to re paint them once a month. I sure would like to paint my rims black though... Hell I can get a black rim for under $100, new. Maybe I'll just save a few bucks and do it right:bonk: