Sign in to follow this  

Oil pressure sender

anyone add an oil pressure sender to their thumper?

All I'm after is a warning light, if pressure is low light up a led, not sure how to plumb in a pressure sender

2 bikes I need to put them on, a 08 ktm 450, and a ttr125

Most bikes have a check plug on the head to confirm oil flow. The problem is that most bikes use a high volume, low pressure oiling system. So checking pressure is not an easy task where it can normally be as low as .5 LBS at idle and only 4~5 LBS at speed. Not many inexpensive sensors can register that range. I have looked in the past.

What you really need is a flow sensor and they are expensive.

The pressure switch simply makes a connectio to ground when oil pressure drops. So the (+) from a 'keyed' power source to the light, a wire from the light to the switch.

What is the pressure range for the KTM?

no idea, but the cam tensioner is driven by oil pressure, that's where the sender above links in

does the 450 have an oiling problem? a friend had one and he had problems, his ace mechanic couldn't fix it, so he told him to sell it and buy japanese.

not that I know of, but any bike can have a pump fail, we had the pump fail on our crf250x, most bikes have plastic oil pump gears

not that I know of, but any bike can have a pump fail, we had the pump fail on our crf250x, most bikes have plastic oil pump gears

i kinda thought so. talked to the mechanic and he said it was common, but i never heard of it. i thinking of having this guy do some wrenching for me, but he kinda made me a little leary so i blew him off. of course this guy is a service manager so that made me wonder also.