Sign in to follow this  

Coolant Leak - Only a Few Drops on Cold Start

Hey Fellas,

I started my 2003 up for the first time in a week or so and saw about 10 drops of coolant coming from a (machined) hole in the water pump case. Once the bike was warm the leak stopped. I started it up again and had no leakage, so I checked the level in the radiator and rode all day. There didn't seem to be much change throughout the day so it was not leaking during the ride. I Should I be worried? I've never seen this before.

Thanks and Happy New Year!

Nah, I wouldnt worry about it. As long as it stops. Mine did/does the same thing. Its just a tiny piece of something thats fouling the seal every now and then and it clears and it'll be fine after that.

Mine will leak for a couple seconds every 6th ride or time out. Ive only had to put about 6oz of coolant in it to bring the coolant back up to half way through the top tank. Any more than that just pushes out the cap anyway when its hot.

Just check it every other ride when its cold. If it shows up low...I mean you need to add a couple cups or so to the radiator...probably needs a seal at that point.