Sign in to follow this  

thumper to smoker?

Like the title says, i currently am running an 08 crf450r year round (trail riding and ice racing) but recently i have done alot of motor work and am running strait race fuel for this years Ice racing season. I was thinking about investing in a cr250 for the summer for trail riding and keeping costs down(not having to fork out the $ for race fuel). my question is will me switching back and forth from a thumper to a smoker be a struggle being as the motor characteristics are total opposites? does any one else switch back and forth between a 2 and 4 stroke?

Any input is highly appreciated guys! thanks!

I vintage race a 270+ pound Triumph 500cc single cylinder 4 stroke that shifts on the right

And a 225 pound Can-Am 250 2 stroke that shifts on the left. It is all a matter of practice. The more you ride both of them the easier it will become.

I ride & switch from a 450 to a 250 2t. It's different & you learn to adjust from the 4t & 2t powerbands being the biggest difference as you noted. The 450 is going to be easier to ride as you can lug it around & don't have to be in the right gear all the time to be on the pipe vs. the 2t. The 450 will give you better traction & won't break the rear tire loose like the 2t does. The 2t is about the grin factor for me I ride mx so I'm in the mid to upper rpms & ride it like it was made to be ridden. I can't ride the 450 like that or I'll end up a near by hospital. The best way I can describe them is like Dr. Jeckyl & Mr. Hide personalities in the motor dept.. Try & ride one & see if you'll like it. I feel blessed I have the best of both worlds.

2-stroke is harder to ride. If you're used to riding it, you'll just be even better on the other bike. It makes a great training tool for motocross riding.

Like the title says, i currently am running an 08 crf450r year round (trail riding and ice racing) but recently i have done alot of motor work and am running strait race fuel for this years Ice racing season. I was thinking about investing in a cr250 for the summer for trail riding and keeping costs down(not having to fork out the $ for race fuel). my question is will me switching back and forth from a thumper to a smoker be a struggle being as the motor characteristics are total opposites? does any one else switch back and forth between a 2 and 4 stroke?

Any input is highly appreciated guys! thanks!

If you are just trail riding the CR250, it won't be too hard to adjust to. The thing that I like best about the 2 stroke on the trail is that I can lay it on it's side for as long as I want, pick it up and it starts easily. Try that with a CRF450... :bonk:

At one point I was switching between my 06 CRF450 to my 06 CR125 when my 450 would be broke and I had no problem going between the night and day difference of the two bikes. I was also able to jump between the 450 to a 250 2 stroke. I'm 18 though, so I could care less what it is, I want to ride.

I regularly switch back and forth between 250cc two-strokes and a 250cc four-stroke. You won't have any problems--although the power delivery is obviously different between the two different types of engines. Both are a lot of fun in my opinion, but I do prefer the 250cc two-stroke.